Ahhh, retirement

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VectorMan

Ahhh, retirement

Post by VectorMan »

No, not my retirement. I’m making a decision to retire my Browning BPCR 45-70 from the silhouette game. It’s been an awesome rifle. My wife bought it for me about 6 or 7 years ago. I shot my very 1st BPCR match with it at Miller Kansas back on 3-21-15. I shot C-0, P-5, T-4, and R-3 for a 12 score. Best day ever. By my 2nd March I had a score of 17 and at my 3rd match I hit all 10 pigs. I was hooked. My Browning has also taken a few Missouri whitetail. I truly love this rifle. I have shot all kinds of bullets through it from postells, Creedmoor, money, and the ever so elusive PPB. It shoots them all very well, any of those bullets are capable of winning any match with this rifle, in the right hands. I hate to retire her this close to going to Raton for the 1st time ever, but it’s awesome 1 1/2 pound trigger pull just went to 4 pounds this week for some reason. I’ve disassembled it multiple times, had numerous discussions with experienced gunsmiths and read every post on the web and in books trying to get it back the way it was to no avail. I have 5 other silhouette rifles, 2 of which are in 45-70, that I’m going to get up and running for silhouette matches. I name all my rifles. The Browning is Linda after my wife. Towards the end of last year I was getting consistent AAA scores and things were really working well, but on to the next rifle. This week I will be trying to work up a load for an C. Sharps highwall built back in ‘99’. It has a #4 Badger with single set trigger. It’s nice and her name is Rose, she came from Texas. The other 45-70 silhouette rifle is a Pedersoli 1874 action with DST and a #4 GM barrel, named Lucy. I know that your thinking is that I name all my rifles after women, well Lucy is short for Lucifer. I detest the sight of this rifle, it’s ugly for multiple reasons, but I’ve shot some good scores with it. It’ll run with the crowd when I do my part. My last one I would consider for silhouette is a 45-100 Meacham action highwall with a 32” Ron Smith gain twist SS barrel. It makes weight just barley. I have yet to fire her. Her name is Long Tall Sally. Why LTS? Because,

Well long, tall Sally
She's built for speed, she got
Everything that Uncle John need, oh baby
Yeah baby, woo baby
Havin' me some fun tonight, yeah.

Hope to see you at a match in the near future.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
BFD

Re: Ahhh, retirement

Post by BFD »

An epic post, Kevin. I hope the CSharps treats you as well..
Woody

Post by Woody »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't help you with your Browning. I've never been inside one. Looks like your retirement plans our laid out pretty well though. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks in Raton.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Maybe texasmac would have an idea on that. Bobw
bobw
semtav

Post by semtav »

Send the trigger to lee shaver .
Ive played with the sears but he usually gets them right.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

semtav wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm Send the trigger to lee shaver .
Ive played with the sears but he usually gets them right.
That’s how it got down to 1 1/2 pounds.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
semtav

Post by semtav »

Id send it back again.
Cant imagine what changed but you never know.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

semtav wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:03 pm Id send it back again.
Cant imagine what changed but you never know.
I probably will but just don’t have time to worry about it before Raton. I have some rifles that will outshoot the Browning and need to explore the possibilities.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Sear corner wear most likely! Those light triggers happen when the sear engagement area is reduced. That is what sear lifts are all about. Doing this stone job and maintaining the safety margin is where skill comes into play. If the gun will let the hammer drop after a couple of shock blows from a raw hide hammer on the trigger bow or side of the action than the gun is not sear safe.
You would be surprised now many match rifles will not pass this test.
krgriggs

Post by krgriggs »

You will have higher scores with your other guns, especially on chickens. If you quit wrapping your bullets with leftover toilet paper it will also increase your scores!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

krgriggs wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:48 pm You will have higher scores with your other guns, especially on chickens. If you quit wrapping your bullets with leftover toilet paper it will also increase your scores!
Ha! I can’t afford that fancy grease.