Front sight inserts

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt Henry

Front sight inserts

Post by Capt Henry »

What sight insert do you use for what event.
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Capt Henry,

Be a little more spacific? :?:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Capt Henry

Sight inserts

Post by Capt Henry »

I was wondering what front sight insert are normally used for what shooting events, such as long range, silhouette etc....
I know this is most likely a personal choice, but since I have not shot using this type of sight would like to know what works for other people.
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Capt Henry,

Don't mind ole Kelley there, if he don't get his crackers on regular basis he gets a little testy.

You are correct site insert choice is a matter of personal taste. It is what ever works the best for you on that target, there is no correct insert for this or that type of target. Now you take "Ole Kelley" there he likes to shot a aperture in his front site for his silhouette work, and a damn small one too. I know there are small as I stole about 6 of his at the last shoot just to give them a try. Kelley is a hell of a shot with those little bitty inserts. Me I prefer a post for Silhouette's as I find the irregular shape of the Silhouette target's just to difficult to center in a aperture, while a post gives me a lot of lee way. It is all in what you are use too and what works the best.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Capt Henry,

Now if I didn't have the Gunny around to keep me on my toe's I'd be bored to death, Gunny may be the cause of that. :roll:

I use .105 aperatures for white targets and .100 for black targets, give or take as it depends on light conditions. I believe in using as big front aperature as you can to get clear light all the way around the target, that will elimanate most of the irreglarity of the targets shape. I use as small a hole in my back sight as possable, I crank down the hadley eye cup hole until I see spider webs and then back up one hole. The eye will naturaly align the sights doing it this way. I use the same method for paper targets. My eye's aren't all that good or I'd use a post front sight, as I think thats the very best way. For now I'll stick to the way I'm doing it.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Frank

Post by Frank »

Capt Henry,
I have tried everything there is and Kelley has it right on the money. My 60 + year old eyes have made the choice for me. I will also say that most of the shooters that do not have old eyes or glasses use the same sights.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

My old eyes have found, like the others, that an apperture front and rear works best... Visulize a circle inside a circle inside a circle all of them centered

Trigger Dr

If it wern't for pickpockets, I'd have no sex life at all
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Kelley has this one right too! Aperatures front and rear with the rear closed down to ghost up the front well. However, I do better on chickens with a post front sight and touch off with the post just above the chicken, enough to see the top of target.

TL
Capt Henry

Sight inserts

Post by Capt Henry »

Thanks for the input, I will try some of the combinations see what works for me. The problem I have also is that these old eyes are getting worse, new glasses help if I can just get use to them now.

Gunny....Kelley you guys sound like your married :lol:
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Capt Henry,

Married hell, if we lived together one of us would be dead. Gunny may be a knuckel dragger, :twisted: :evil: I'm more devious :twisted: and faster, :lol: :lol: besides he's retarted. :lol: :shock: :lol: :roll:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Capt. Henry,

About the sights, what they are telling you is correct, But my old eyes got bad enough, went to the eye Doctor to get new glasses and took my Sharps with me. Had him make one pair of glasses, so that the front sight was in focus. If you do this make sure the to lens is the same top to bottom, as, you look through a different part of the lens when you are standing or prone. Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
Capt Henry

Sight inserts

Post by Capt Henry »

Thanks to all who responded, its a big help. Now I am going to try to find a spray can of group tightener and I will be all set.
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Capt Henry,

Preperation H works as a group tightner :lol: Some guy's like Gunny put it their lube :roll: :wink:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Capt Henry

Sight inserts

Post by Capt Henry »

Well Kenny it looks like Gunny may have the solution, bet those groups pucker right up. :wink: