Rdnk's Visit

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Josh A.

Rdnk's Visit

Post by Josh A. »

Rdnk has been at my place for the last couple of days chasing turkeys. We managed to get amongst the turkeys after a long stalk involving a hog, 8 gobblers, and my old CJ-7. Sort of a long story about a quick decision. Rdnk made one heck of a good shot on a nice gobbler that was departing the scene. Around 60 yds he busted him through the wing butt. Well done to tell the truth. Maybe he will post the picture with his bird.

He brought with him a heavy barreled 45-110. It is the first real heavy barreled Sharps that I have seen in person. Man, that is one heavy rifle. Around 14 1/2 lbs if I remember right. Anyway the wind whistled here at 20-30mph for most of the time he was here, but one morning early the wind was pretty light and we went over to my range and I got to shoot that heavy rascal. My turkey was the only target that was painted and didn't have any marks on it, so I shot at it. The first shot was off the target in the wind with the elevation fine. After a sight adjustment the next five were hits. The first four were in a group so small that I am a smidge embarrassed to write it down, but the fifth shot opened the group to around 5". Frankly, I was surprised how accurate that big long case was. It didn't seem to foul badly at all. My 45-100 looks about like the bore of that rifle after a string of shots.

Of course I had heard everyone talk about the mighty 45-110 so when I sat down at the bench for the first shot I was bowed up and holding on for real recoil. When I fired that round my first thought was that this rifle kicks like a pellet gun. My 11 1/2 lb. 45-100 kicks a whole lot more than that 14 1/2 lb. 45-110.

All you guys that have those heavy Shiloh's on order are really going to like shooting them. This one was a very pleasant rifle. The only real problem is carrying that thing. I had to get the jeep real close to my range house so that we didn't have far to go with it. I am pretty sure that real buffalo hunters could be identified by the excessive length of their arms from carrying those things.

Take care,

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Josh:

Very interesting poost. Rdnck, what are the specifics of your gun that bring it up to the 14.5 pound mark?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Josh A

You forgot to mention what barrel length.... I sounds like one sweet shooter.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Josh A.

Visit

Post by Josh A. »

Montana:
I am guessing the length was 30", but to tell the truth I can't remember. I am guessing that buff hunters were real men or Sharps sent these things out with wheels.

Take care,

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
rdnck

Barrel length

Post by rdnck »

Montanian--The Shiloh 45-110 I have come to call Mjolnir, or Thor's Hammer weighs in at 14 pounds, eight ounces at the Post Office fitted with a Parts Unknown Borchardt tang sight and a Lyman 17A in front. It is equipped with a rear barrel sight.

The barrel is 30 inches in length, and 1.320 inches at the breech across the flats, and 1.209 inches across the flats at the muzzle. The rifle is so well balanced I can shoot it offhand. The added weight makes it an easy rifle to shoot and is likely one of the reasons it is so accurate. I got used to carrying heavy rifles years ago, and have a 13 1/2 pound Hawken that I have been using since the mid eighties, so the weight of Mjolnir doesn't bother me that much. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

rdnck,
Did you get the complete history on your new/used rifle? If it is the same one that I handled a couple years ago at the Shiloh factory showroom, Robert Bryan had a fascinating story he told me about the rifle. I beleive he stated that it was special ordered by a celebrity and also co-starred in a movie. He also stated that it is the only one ever produced with the(arrow) pewter tip (a copy of 19th Century Bozeman Montana riflesmith Walter Cooper's signature forearm tip). If you want, send me a pm and I will tell you the story that Robert told me.
Thanks and Good Shooting,
Chris