Which barrel length prefered in 50-90

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jack Bickley

Which barrel length prefered in 50-90

Post by Jack Bickley »

Still have some questions dancing around in my head.

Do you think a 30" heavy octagon barrel is to light in a 50-90, as in excessive recoil? This would be used primarily for hunting, but I put in a lot of range time. I have a 45-70 I can shoot for other things.
I'm thinking of a #3, heavy octagon barrel, shotgun stock, etc.
A 14lb. rifle isn't something I'm interested in. But a 50-90 definitely is.
I had a 45-110 with a 34" barrel and didn't feel recoil was so bad.

Still undecided,
Jack
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Shotgun butt will help a lot! My 16 pound 50-90 with a military stock still kicks. For hunting, I don't think you can get much better results than a 50-90. Don't let all of those scary tales keep you from your 50-90. If the 45-110 didn't bother you then neither will the 50-90 and both of these are nothing recoil wise compared to a modern magnum.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

I'm also thinking of the 50-90 when I order mine in possibly a 32" heavy barrel with the shotgun buttstock. There is just something about that Big 50 that just turns my crank.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Ha Jack,
Just got mine back from Shiloh Christmas eve. Had it rebarreled from a standard Bbl. with free bore in it to heavy Bbl. 30". It has the military butt stock and with the first load I shot out of it 570 gr. round nose with 100 gr. of 1f it had some pretty good recoil. But I think with the shotgun butt it would be fine. I ordered a murcury compensator for it from Brownells today to see if that will help. If not then this spring I may send it back to have a shot gun butt put on.
Drain Rock

Post by Drain Rock »

Howard
I to have an early sharps in 50-90 with the dreaded free bore, which actually hasn’t been much of a problem, but just for reference approximately what did that re-barrel set you back?
Drain Rock
shooter 37

Post by shooter 37 »

Jack
I hunt with an older #3 sporter, in 50/90, with the standard barrel. The Rifle weighs a bit under 10 pounds. It carries just fine and I have a sling rigged up that loops around the barrel and butt stock.
Recoil from the bench is stiff but managable, just hold on and have the butt solid in your shoulder. In the field I don't recall feeling the gun go off when I took a buff this past fall. Heavy barrels are great for the target or range shooter but for hunting the pounds add up.
Good Luck.........
THE ONLY INTERESTING RIFLES ARE ACCURATE ONES