Hey Rdnk!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Josh A.

Hey Rdnk!

Post by Josh A. »

Remember those paper patch bullets I was messin' with in my 40-70ss Shiloh? Here is what happens when a fat doe gets in range of one.

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/texassharpsp ... hotoID=480

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Josh:

Nice Doe! How far were you shooting? What are the specs on your gun?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Josh A.

Doe

Post by Josh A. »

Tex:
The range on this shot was about 85-90yds, on a hard down angle. There were two does and two yearlings moving into this little stock tank. The wind was whistling, but I had moved so that it was in my face. I just stood behind a cedar and right before it was too dark to shoot, they came in.

The rifle is my 40-70ss with the standard/half barrel. The barrel has been cut to 27" and could stand to be shorter. It is built like an LRE but I don't know the model for sure.

The load is stretched 30-40 Krag brass from BA with WLR primers. 62.5gr of Goex cartridge, an LDPE wad with whatever homemade lube was left in my ribbon extruder. The bullet was a tapered 40-1 from BA and the 100% cotton paper they sell.

She was a big, fat herd doe. The bullet went in on her left side about the middle and came out pretty low on the right. Entrance and exit were pretty close to the same size. She ran about 30 yds and went down. The other three just stomped and snorted. I could have shot another one if I had wanted to. Bad news is that they were way below my jeep and that dragging out job nearly killed me.

Take care,

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
rdnck

That'll Work!!

Post by rdnck »

Josh--I told you a soft bullet would shoot all the way through one. It amazes me, but they will, and don't seem to open up either.

I got the pictures of the turkey back, so watch your mailbox. Thanks again for a great Christmas holiday. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Josh:

Sounds like some good eating. You've got me going, I've been working a lot recently and have put off filling one of my tags. I'm going to try to get out this weekend and remedy this.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Josh A.

Deer

Post by Josh A. »

Tex:
To hell with work, its over rated. I hunt almost every day with my Sharps. Even if it is for an hour. The day you die you won't be saying "man I wished I had skipped more hunting to work."

Josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
rdnck

Work

Post by rdnck »

Now you guys see why it is so much fun to hunt with Josh. A man after my own heart. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Josh:

You and my wife sound a lot a like in your advice. I'm in my 40's and I'm trying to plan effectively for retirement. Sometimes I do not smell the flowers as often as I should.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"