Fact or fiction

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

The Montanan

Fact or fiction

Post by The Montanan »

The .45-90 was virtually identical to the .45-70 with a longer case, and .45-70 ammunition can safely be fired in .45-90 rifles. This was quite useful on the frontier, where .45-70 Government ammunition was widely distributed, and made the Sharps .45-90 a popular buffalo rifle.

This was copied and pasted from http://www.chuckhawks.com/buffalo_cartridges.htm

I would just like to know if he the writer is missleading readers here or not.

Kenny, MLV and others, what is your take on this?
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Good way to ruin a chamber.

Kirk has several 45-110 originals that have had this done to them, and the ruined Chamber is the end result.

I read the article, he says the 45-3.25 cases came out in 1878 or 79 and yet does not cite any reference to this. Odd as the UMC company first made the 3.25 case in 1883-84 time frame. Noted Game hunter William Picket of Wyomng, was one of the major movers and shakers that finaly go the UMC folks to make a 3.25 case similar to the Brits where using in Express rifle loadings and DGR rifles for the Dark contenent.

Sharps Records are pretty clear the 2.875 or 2-7/8ths case was the longest chambering they ever used. Sharps records are even more clear on the fact that the 45 2-7/8ths case could be loaded with 90-120 grs of powder depending on grade and the care used in filling the case. They offered a 120 gr measure for sale also. Plenty of catalog evidence of that fact. In the 1878 catalog they mention the 45-70 and 45-110 as the only two standard calibers, and others were special order only.

I think the guy is full of BS.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
MLV

Post by MLV »

The .45-2.4" case, or .45-90 as we call it today, was a chambering of Sharps target rifles. It could have seen service on the prairie as I've seen reference to hunters ordering "Creedmoor" and "Long Range" target rifles, but I doubt if many were used. The most popular chambering of Sharps rifles before 1876 was .44-77 followed by .50-70. After 1876 it was .45-70, and that is according to original Sharps factory records.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Thank you MLV for the input here on this, frankly I trust you and your research about thes matters.

I picked up a copy of Gun Guide 2004 buyers guide last night, that has your artical on page 32. I must say, another great write by a great writer.

Thank you again.
The Montanan

MLV

Post by MLV »

I modestly thank you. That article, incidentally, is a combination of the first two chapters of my Buffalo Rifles book.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Kenny

I want to thank you for your input as well. Compared to you guy's I'm still a novice at this, but because of this forum I am learning and learning some more. Thankfully I have not been kicked out of here because of my copy Sharps that I have been learning with. Yes it is a piece of junk copy, but instead of buying a Pedersoli to upgrade I am holding out for what I really want, instead of just getting another step closer to what I want. I wan the finest rifle I believe to be made in the United States today, that is American Made!

I am hoping to soon order my rifle. The rifle and cartridge are important as to it's historical correctness... I know I need to get the book. Some one gave me as a gift several years ago MLV's book on Lever Action Rifles of the Old West. I just wish they had made it Buffalo Rifles of the Old West instead. Anyone want to trade?

Again thanks Kenny for your input.
The Montanan

Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Montanan,

I guarantee that what would be the most pleasing to you would be to have the entire set of 4 books. I promise that each of the books is better that the others.

At least up to this point it is a set of 4. Hopefully the set will grow.
Lee Stone
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

I have to second what lee has said but I only have three of the four. I started with Sixguns of the Old West and went from there. All well written and extremely informative. Howard
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Hmmmm, I have lost track. Lets see what is in my library. Parley

1. The Black Powder Reloading Primer with Steve.
2. Shooting Colt Single Actions
3. Shooting Sixguns of the Old West
4. Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West
5. Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West

Yes all very informative and with accurate information.
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.