I'm new

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BWoos

I'm new

Post by BWoos »

Hi everyone! I just recieved my new shilo sharps 1874 last night and it is a beautiful sight. The fit and finish is supurb and the wood is beautiful I think I got a little closer to the extra fancy side than the semi-fancy side. I wish I could say that I spent alot of time researching before I picked one out but I didn't. I stopped by the factory on my way back to Ne. for the holidays and found one going through final inspection that I thought that I couldn't do without. I wanted one to hunt with and also use as a beginner silouette shooter. It is a rough rider w/28" round barrel, semi-fancy wood, pewter tip, shotgun stock, 45-70, MVA mid-range soule tang and MVA globe w/spirit level. My experience is mostly with smokeless powder reloading for rifle and pistol calibers and my bp experience is a little muzzleloading. I've tried to pour my own bullets for big bore pistols but my experience with that is limited. You'll probably here from me from time to time because I'm sure I'm going to have alot of questions but mostly I'm just going to read all your posts to get info. I'm probably not going to reply to many posts because I don't know diddly yet. I'm excited to get started for I don't have any bp reloading equipment at this time. Sorry for the long winded post but I do have one question concerning the rifles trigger. Is it normal for the rifle to have trigger creep? Mine moves what I would consider excessive before is drops the hammer when the trigger is set. I'm used to triggers that break like a glass rod so this is very noticable, it is light and I know that you can adjust the poundage with the screw but not the creep. How is the triggers on all your guns? Are they creepy or crisp? I'm looking forward to a fun year of shooting :D Brian
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

BWoos,

Welcome aboard. Pull up your socks and get ready to have some fun! You'll soon discover that the black powder route is somewhat more challenging than the smokeless.

Your trigger is salvageable but I would give it a little more time and fiddle later. My 40-65 Shiloh breaks, while not like glass, very consistently and cleanly. When you get to the point of needing to gain tenths you can start messing with triggers. Remember, it's the ride that provides the fun, not the destination.

You picked a very good forum for your upcoming ride.

TL
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Brian, congratulations on the rifle. This site is a great way for a beginner to learn the care and feeding of these animals. About the triggers, you should have some instructions with the gun on how you can adjust them with the screw near the triggers. Agree with Timberlake though, enjoy the ride. The people on here are really good help for beginners, I know because they have really speeded my learning curve.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

BWoos:

Hello, welcome to the forum. Like you, I am new to BP shooting myself. These people have been very helpful and patient with my constant barrage of questions.

I hope you have a good time. There is a lot of good and interesting information to be learned here.

Take care,

Ty
Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
deerhuntsheatmeup

trigger creep..

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

BW, I like you, am a new Sharps shooter. I took delivery of my new Sharps 2 months ago and the first thing I noticed was the trigger was set all the way out, heavy. I adjusted the weight of pull and the little play that was in the trigger left with the heavy pull. What I have now is a gun with a trigger that is as good or better than its reputation says. ('74 triggers have been noted as some of the best) Anyhow, I hope your gun works out as well as mine has. I have shot some sub MOA groups with mine, just 3 or 4 shots though. The misses are me, not the gun. You enjoy now, ya hear!! Later, David Barfield
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

Brian,
Don't think you could have made a better choice. Am also new to BPCR and the Shiloh but in the last 6 months have had more fun than you could imagine. Very rewarding to start asking alot of questions AND GET ANSWERS! as opposed to other sports, then go off and begin practicing.

Im only a beginner too, but have digested enough information to make some very satisfying (and now consistant) bullets and loads. But more than that is the satisfaction of taking the #1 out to the local range and repeatedly nailing those gongs (soon to be chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams).

Now here is the hard part, I want another one!

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

Brian,
Most double set triggers function so that the screw in the trigger plate between the triggers actually sets the sear engagement rather than the trigger weight. Of course, more sear engagement will give you more weight while less sear engagement will lighten the trigger pull.
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
BWoos

Post by BWoos »

VA

I adjusted the screw in and it took all the creep out and it is as crisp as a fresh dorito and a little over a pound. I kind of drew the conclusion that the screw had more to do with sear engagement than it did with poundage. It is all good, I'm going to go up to Buffalo Arms today to buy my dies, moulds, brass etc.... I'll pick up some powder in the city and maybe by the weekend I'll be loading some ammo. :D

Brian