Chonographs?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Chonographs?

Post by Jerry Williams »

:?: Well I am at the stage in load development (curiosity) where I want to know how fast these buffalo bullets are going. I would seek your experience and advise on which brands and models are useful in developing BP loads for the average shooter? (simple and accurate is good, we are not rocket scientists here). :?:
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Ted Kramer

Post by Ted Kramer »

Hey Jerry,

I have found my cheap little F-1 Chrony brand chronograph does a good job for me. It was very inexpensive, has a good sized readout screen that I can see fine from my shooting bench when placed about 15 feet out front. A remote readout would be nice and so would a printed readout, but I like things as simple as possible with no wires and leads to tangle my big feet in! I really don't know if the more expensive ones are more accurate or not, this one is all I need.

Ted
Dean Jasper

Post by Dean Jasper »

I use a Chrony with the extended or remote readout and it works fine. The remote is a nice inexpensive feature to have. Check Buffalo arms.
iawill

Chronographs

Post by iawill »

Jerry, great to have you back.
My .02 vote goes to the little Chrony Beta Master. I guess it all depends on exactly what you are doing, if you were doing real "lab" type analysis I would say the Oehler.
Here is my take, I've only shot through three of the Chrony(s) and across one Oehler, and I have seen variations when we shot through the Chrony(s) placing them back to back. But when we reversed them and shot again the numbers were very consistant. What I'm saying is I don't really care if my Beta reads 20 fps faster than the Oehler, which is probably the true velocity. What I do care is that it is giving me a repeatable velocity relative to those shots in the string and from day to day, and it does do that. All I'm really using it for is to see if I had a velocity change from my "master" load and what the ES or SD is with a new load.
iawill
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

JW ! Been using the chrony since it came out ! Check it with 22rimfires for velocity readings been working good for many years ! Put a 2 x4 in front of the window while firing to stop the muzzle blast and don't let anybody else shoot over it , you test fire their gun for them , it will last longer ! JAGG
JAGG
SOURDOUGH

Chronographs

Post by SOURDOUGH »

I don't recall if I have ever seen opinions regarding the velocity that is needed to have a consistent and stable load for silhouette shooting. When shooting 45 cal. with 535 gr. Postell bullets what are some of your opinions of the velocity range that you need to try to make your loads fall into for developing a good load. My current load is running in the range of 1120 fps and I was wondering if this was fast enough. :roll:
This ain't Australia, and you ain't Matthew Quigley!