Smithmoor Team Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Team Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Friends, 7/24/2022

I’ve got to admit, it feels pretty good when what I think is a good idea actually turns out to be a good idea. I’ve had more than a few good ideas that ended up not being so good. This past Saturday was not one of those, however. Hard to believe, but I’ve been shooting BPCR for 10 years now and I have heard a lot of discussions about how BPCR silhouette is really a team sport between the shooter and spotter. I had always thought it would fun to do a team match, and we finally got around to doing it. From the feedback of the shooters, it appears to be a total success and I hope it will turn into a bit of a tradition with our July match.

The way it worked was each shooter had a partner that they shot with, and no one else. The kicker was the team had to consist of one master or AAA class shooter, and one AA or A class shooter. It was a great opportunity for the shooters to really get some good experience from the master and AAA shooters. The master/AAA guys really enjoyed their time, too. It was fun to be a little competitive, as we had some nice prizes for the winners.

The other thing we tried out was we held a Calcutta before the match. Calcuttas are big deals around county fairs, rodeos, and other western celebrations. For those that don’t know, each team is auctioned off and then the buyer receives a share of the funds based on how well the team they bought does in the competition. A share of the funds usually goes to some charity so it is entertaining and still for a good cause. Our shooters got into it and we had lots of fun during the bidding. The total pot ended up being $220 and the bidder who bought the winning team would receive half, while second place got one quarter, and the Smithmoor Range Improvement fund received one quarter. Sir Billy bought our winning team and won $110, while Doc Bement bought his team and won $55. $55 was raised for the range improvement fund as well. Thanks everyone for playing, I enjoyed it.

No surprise here, but we ate really well. Dan Womer and Dick brought donuts for a morning snack, and Mom and Dad had a feast made up for lunch for us. Barbecue pork short ribs, coleslaw, tater chips, fruit salad, and cream cheese bars made up the main portion. The match was also the public debut of the soft serve ice cream machine. It was a hit for sure. Dad has been experimenting with different recipes, and I’m pretty sure he has it nailed down. The batch made 48 cones, and we ran out……

The weather made the match one of the toughest, most frustrating we have had. It was pretty fair as it seemed like everyone suffered equally. The weather was cool and we enjoyed a break from the intense heat we have been experiencing, but the wind was super challenging. It never blew over a target, or blew tables or chairs away, but it came straight mostly out of the north and shifted ever so slightly left and right all day. Thanks to Mark Pachares, we have a really cool wind meter built into the building and we were able to accurately note that the wind mostly stayed 30-35 mph, and we did see one gust that hit 41. I think those straight on head winds with varying intensity are the hardest to shoot in as it severely affects both windage and elevation. Slight changes in the angle of the wind are also hard to read and with wind speeds that high, it can result in feet of windage changes. Mark Pachares came the closest to mastering the conditions, but no one else shot particularly good scores. It was certainly a test!

In third place, Jack Odor and Michael Jackson shot a combined score of 40. They actually tied Doc and Dick, but Doc’s lucky Sacajawea Dollar came through for him and they won the exciting flip off to determine the winner. Jack and Michael took home certificates and each received a beautiful handmade mould mallet by Dan Womer. For second place, Doc and Dick received certificates, Doc took home a beautiful Smithmoor Seiko wristwatch, and Doc picked up one of the Smithmoor Schaefer Outfitters Jackets we had embroidered. Giving everyone a sound spanking, Super Shooter Mark Pachares and Ed Himelhoch shot an impressive combined score of 48 to be the Champions. Wow! Great Job Mark and Ed! They both took home certificates and Smithmoor Schaefer Jackets.

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for all of their support and participation at Smithmoor. In particular, Mark Pachares has been a relentless supporter, promoter, friend, and labor source on the range. Thank you Mark! Also, Jim Rodebaugh finished the raffle knife that will be given away at the August matches and dropped it off at the match. Is it ever cool, let me tell you! There are a few tickets left if anyone wants some. Thank you Jim! Doc Bement recently made a large financial contribution to the range and I can’t tell you how much we appreciate it. Besides the great things we have planned for the money, it means so much having that sign that we are doing the right thing and folks believe in us and what we are doing. Thank you Doc and everyone else that has so graciously given!

My not-so-little-anymore girl, Grace, turned 13 on the day of the match. To say I am proud of her is an understatement. Many of your have literally watched her grow up over the last ten years and I want to thank everyone for making the best ‘village’ to raise my children around I can think of. The friends that have become family, the cherished memories, and the struggles in the beginning, the laughs and camaraderie are all priceless. A giant thank you to everyone that shoots and supports Smithmoor Range! All of us have created something truly great and I can’t tell you how much it means to me, Coralee, Mom, and Dad.

Take care my friends,
Cody

Shooter Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Team Total

Cody Smith 6 5 2 1 14
Sir Billy Acklin 1 5 4 5 15 29

Mark Pachares 3 10 8 8 29
Ed Hiimelhoch 0 9 4 6 19 48 1st

Doc Bement 3 9 7 4 21
Dick Hennebry 1 7 7 4 19 40 2nd

Brad Rice 0 10 5 7 22
Sammie Rice 1 6 6 4 17 39

Michael Jackson 1 4 5 4 14
Jack Odor 4 10 9 3 26 40 3rd

Criag Wolf 2 9 5 6 22
Caleb Wolf 1 8 5 3 17 39

Dan Womer 1 9 6 4 20
Grizz 0 6 4 7 17 37

Michael Rix 1 8 4 2 15
Steve Anderson 1 9 3 2 15 30
ian45662

Re: Smithmoor Team Match

Post by ian45662 »

That is a good idea. We will have to try that sometime.
jackrabbit

Re: Smithmoor Team Match

Post by jackrabbit »

I hope you do and tell us how it went! It was lots of fun and I hope the idea catches on.
Thanks for the comments, Ian