44-77 Tight Chamber?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Griff

Re: 44-77 Tight Chamber?

Post by Griff »

As an update in case others run into this issue in the future, I used the RCBS hand-turned case neck turner referenced above to thin the necks of 20 pieces of my BACO reformed 44-77 brass. I don't think that the 44 caliber pilot is quite as big as it should be and I'm not in a position to make a new one, but I was able to make it work. Because of that, though, it is hard for me to say how much brass was turned off the case necks. Having turned the brass, though, I was able to get the cartridges to seat with my .446 bullets and I fired them this morning to fireform them and to get the sights adjusted enough to get it shooting on paper. I hope to load a basic starting load with the same brass this afternoon and start load development.

I only turned 20 rounds in part because I really am hoping to branch into paper patch bullets soon. I wanted to have the option of using grease groove bullets, though, so now I have some to get me going.

That brings up the sadness that I feel since we lost Jim Kluskens. I had never met him in person, but he has offered gentle but wise advice to me for several years, as well as making the tang sight I have mounted on my new rifle. I had been emailing with Jim shortly before his death and he was very helpful with advice as I began looking at paper patch molds, etc. Looking back in my notes, I have suggestions, comments and advice from him going back to before I even ordered this particular rifle. A common thread that I'm hearing is that he was always willing to take the time and effort to help others along. What a great legacy to aspire to! He'll be missed.

I'm also very grateful to the others here who have taken their time getting me on the right track with the tightish chamber in this rifle. I have your comments and suggestions bookmarked and I keep going back to them to digest all that has been said. Without a doubt I'll be coming along with more questions and I'm confident that the more experienced shooters here will be ready with answers for me.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom