Buffalo Hunters Encyclopedia

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Re: Buffalo Hunters Encyclopedia

Post by ChrisF »

Well I will at least have the set of 2 as I ordered them from Shilo on Friday.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Well I will at least have the set of 2 as I ordered them from Shilo on Friday.
pete

Post by pete »

Ray I was referring to cost of the books. My thinking is that more photos and color ones would be more expensive and the price of the books would have to increase thus there might be even less sold. On the other hand it could increase sales because more people would like the look. I also wonder if the limited scope of the topic could be a reason. By that I mean it's limited to buffalo and doesn't include any other hunting. I have a book about big game hunting the American west from 1800 to 1900 and it seems to do pretty well and it's available at Barnes and Noble. But it's also lavishly phtographed with both period and modern photos and covers multiple species. I don't know.
Bp cartridge single shot rifle shooting is definately under represented compared to what a lot people would consider quirky shooting activities. By quirky I mean traditional archery, traditional muzzleloading and maybe cowboy shooting.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Well my books arriver on Monday February 1, 2016. Looking forward to reading them both, and hope and pray the 3rd edition comes out. Hoping it would shed some light on MAyer and the controversy that surrounds him.
Notchy Bob

Post by Notchy Bob »

Here I am, a new member, resurrecting an old thread. However, this interests me. I've had the first two volumes of The Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters & Skinners for years, and I'm still waiting for the rest of the series to be published. I was hoping somebody might have an update.

I did read through every post on this thread, and noted the various reasons that volumes three and beyond have not been published. I would agree with yellowhouse (post #5, I think) that publications of more volumes in the series might very well increase interest, and help with sales of volumes 1 and 2. Waiting for the existing volumes to sell out just doesn't sound like good business sense to me, especially since so much has been invested in the research for these books. If money is the issue, there ought to be some way to generate the capital needed to get these books in print, especially if they are ready to go.

I have no complaints about the books. Maybe a few more images of equipment would be nice, but I'm not complaining. I'm fine with the black and white photographs. These are great books.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Notchy Bob

Post by Notchy Bob »

As an addendum, I just checked on the Dixie Gun Works website and found that the offer Volumes 1 and 2 of The Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters & Skinners as a set of two for $50. That's a pretty good deal. Here is a link to the webpage: SS4156 Buffalo Hunters Books Set.

I was also surprised to find M.H. Cole's book, The Skinning Knife, is still in stock. I thought it was out of print. I bought a used copy a couple of years ago for about the price of the new book. This is a terrific publication, if you are interested in skinning knives. It is listed as item #BK2315.

Notchy Bob
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'd love to see additional volumes as well, but it's been 16 years since volume 2 was published. I imagine that a lot of raw data, documents, photos, etc. was collected for additional volumes, and I often think of all the hidden gems. I'm not expecting there to be more volumes, though. Maybe someone here has inside information.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Dutch44

Post by Dutch44 »

Vol. 3 and 4 won't be printed. Publishers say that there was very little interest in vol. 1 and 2 so they don't want to pursue it any further. The text has been submitted but publishers won't release it to the authors what I have been informed. I suggested that they print a paper back vol. 3 & 4 but don't think it will happen. Really a shame.
Griff

Post by Griff »

Very much a shame...
Dangerous Freedom
Dutch44

Post by Dutch44 »

I went to one of the authors, a fantastic gentleman, and thought I would offer to buy the remaining text back from the publisher to put into some form of paperback or even just printing. He didn't think they would go for it.