Hello from Pennsylvania!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SFogler

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!

Post by SFogler »

I can use up to 84 grains in my 45-70. My chicken load is 55 grains. That’s probably as flexible as it gets.
With what powder and bullet?
I'm not knocking a 45-70, just saying there are more options to consider that are just as easy to load if not easier. Shiloh Sharps are unique rifles so why not consider a unique caliber?
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

While I do agree that the 45-70 is pretty vanella and a -90 might be a better choice if your goal is more towards the 1000 yard stuff, there are other factors to consider for this investment. Shiloh does offer a lot of options on caliber and I think there is a good chance that if you provide a reamer they will cut a custom chamber for you, there are other things to take into consideration. A 44-77 or 44-90 will be great for the long range stuff and both are unique and correct for a sharps, but the big thing to think about is the availability of proper brass. Brass for the 44's is all but unavailable, 45-90 brass is scarce. Even the lowly 45-70 can be in short supply at times.
What ever caliber you do pick, imho it would be a good idea to start looking for and gathering up the proper brass as soon as you make up your mind. I have done this in the past and it was either a good endeavor on my part or I got damn lucky that I started to acquire brass when I did. I have a 44-77 and will never need to purchase any brass for it in the future. I have enough other brass that I am in good shape. I wouldn't want to be shopping for brass these days. If you do want to go with the 90 get on the back order list with starline as it seems like they may be getting ready to make a run, from what I have head on line.
Just some things to add to your all ready long list of things to think about.
Sam
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

No reason to shoot a 45cal unless you like to get beat up with recoil. Two of the consistently top shooters in the country shoot a 38-50 in BPCR & BPTR. Why beat yourself with recoil (says the 38-55 shooter)? When you beat Rick Moritz and Ian Egbert I'll listen.
Glenn
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

SSShooter wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:54 pm No reason to shoot a 45cal unless you like to get beat up with recoil. Two of the consistently top shooters in the country shoot a 38-50 in BPCR & BPTR. Why beat yourself with recoil (says the 38-55 shooter)? When you beat Rick Moritz and Ian Egbert I'll listen.
First Midrange National Championship Rick won was with a Shiloh 1874 with a heavy round Douglas 8 groove barrel in 45-90. He got tired of being second all the time with his 38-50, multiple times.

Silhouette well that’s a different story, 38-50.

Kenny Wasserburger
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:24 am
SSShooter wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:54 pm No reason to shoot a 45cal unless you like to get beat up with recoil. Two of the consistently top shooters in the country shoot a 38-50 in BPCR & BPTR. Why beat yourself with recoil (says the 38-55 shooter)? When you beat Rick Moritz and Ian Egbert I'll listen.
First Midrange National Championship Rick won was with a Shiloh 1874 with a heavy round Douglas 8 groove barrel in 45-90. He got tired of being second all the time with his 38-50, multiple times.

Kenny Wasserburger
Ian Egbert won the most recent 1000yd match at Oak Ridge (check me on that, it may have been Camp Atterbury in IN) with his 38-50.
The SE Regional 600yd match was won by a 38-50 in 2018 (again, going by memory so may have been 2017 or 2019).
As you mention, both Rick & Ian have won the BPCR Nationals with their 38-50.
38cal is very capable.
Glenn
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

The OP says he’s 40, so recoil shouldn’t be a problem. He own a small farm and works a full week at his IT job plus is raising 4 kids. Although the 38-50 is a great cartridge in competent hands of already experienced BPCR shooters, I think it would be a stretch to ask the OP to make it his 1st BPCR and expect him to be satisfied with the results of spending a lot more time with this caliber and trying to get it to shoot up to expectations vs getting the 45-70 to shoot well at Silhouette AND Long range very easily.
Ian or Rick just didn’t dive right in with the 38-50, with good reason. By all means, due some real research on what calibers you think you would have time for and like to try. My 2 cents, trying to give the OP something so he’s not disappointed only to put it in the safe and never to be fired. Just an opinion, not a contradiction that other suggestions are stupid.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Luke

Post by Luke »

As MLV says "get a 45-70 first". Easy to load, easy to supply, an ideal learning tool and yet still match winner.
Limber Up!
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

SFogler wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:57 am
I can use up to 84 grains in my 45-70. My chicken load is 55 grains. That’s probably as flexible as it gets.
With what powder and bullet?
I'm not knocking a 45-70, just saying there are more options to consider that are just as easy to load if not easier. Shiloh Sharps are unique rifles so why not consider a unique caliber?
That is Swiss powder. The two “long range” bullets I use are bore diameter paper patch bullets. I am only seating them .1 into the case. In order to get 84 grains in I have a little case extension BUT. The sweet spot is 81 grains for my highwall and 79 for my Shiloh. I will be the first to admit that this method isn’t for everyone and especially maybe the new shooter should stick with grease groove ammo until he/she gets the hang of things. As Glenn mentioned though I am pretty much fully in the 38-50 camp. I don’t think I will go back to a 45 but I also agree with what Kevin has already said. 38-50 May not be a good choice for the newer BPCR shooter. Personally I think the 45 will be hard to beat as a first time rifle. 45-70 or 90.
Last edited by ian45662 on Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

SSShooter wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:46 am
Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:24 am

Kenny Wasserburger
Ian Egbert won the most recent 1000yd match at Oak Ridge (check me on that, it may have been Camp Atterbury in IN) with his 38-50.
The SE Regional 600yd match was won by a 38-50 in 2018 (again, going by memory so may have been 2017 or 2019).
As you mention, both Rick & Ian have won the BPCR Nationals with their 38-50.
38cal is very capable.
That was the 1200 yard match at Atterbury that I won with the little 38. There are caliber restrictions at Oak Ridge and I have to shoot my 45. Tony Martello won it last year though. The nationals I was was with my 45. I was just just starting to think about 38s back then and didn’t have it yet. I will be shooting the 38 at the nationals this year.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Ian - thanks for correcting. You will just have to win this year's nationals to fix my error.
Glenn