Bullet mold choice

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brianbo

Bullet mold choice

Post by Brianbo »

Greetings,

To begin, I’d like to thank all of you who contribute your knowledge to these forums… you’re a great resource to someone new to this discipline, such as myself, and you’re very much appreciated! I am fairly new to the forum and to Sharps BPCR shooting. I begin by saying that I have many years experience casting, loading, and shooting Scottish & British Damascus double barreled black powder express rifles in 500 and 577 calibers. As lovely and elegant as those rifles are, I’ve sold them off over the years. Trying to divine accurate paper patched load combinations while trying to regulate 2 barrels was maddeningly frustrating, though there were a few encouraging successes. So rather than continue pulling out what hair I had left on my head, I decided on another path… though it’s possible my hair was just falling in and clogging my brain.

But I digress… on to my question. I have a new Shiloh Sharps #1 Sporter, in 45-90, 30” heavy octagonal barrel, w/shotgun butt. I purchased a BACO .458 - 535 grain Money Ball bullet mold. After reading various posts from shooters recommending .459 bullet mold for the same cartridge… did I make a mistake buying the .458 mold?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Best Regards,

Brian Bourgoin
Dennis Armistead

Re: Bullet mold choice

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Brian, I don't think you made a bad choice. I'm assuming your rifle has a 1:18 twist, the length looks good. .458" will work. I load .459" resized to .458 just so I have equal neck tension on my match rounds, but my general use hunting bullets are shot as cast .458" and are also accurate. Some target shooters cast at .458" and have had great results.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Good bullet choice
16-1 alloy will be your friend along with .060 fiber wads
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
A Atwood

Post by A Atwood »

Don McDowell wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:50 pm Good bullet choice
16-1 alloy will be your friend along with .060 fiber wads
May I ask as to why you need .060” wads as opposed to .030” wads?
Thanks
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Because of the extra powder the 2.4 case burns
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?