May Smithmoor BPCR

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

May Smithmoor BPCR

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Friends, 5/28/2023

We are all pleased that we were able to hold the first big bore silhouette match of the year at Smithmoor yesterday. With everybody’s busy schedules and the unpredictable weather we have been experiencing lately, we were blessed it worked out. I have to admit that at 5:30 Saturday morning, I was wondering if I should have my head examined. The fog was dense, and more rain and wind was predicted for the day. The fog broke and the sun came out about 9 and made for a fun and very challenging day to shoot. Pulsing tail winds ranging from single digits to the high 20’s made most of us scratch our heads. I thought it was a lot of fun, however, and thoroughly enjoyed my day.

Smithmoor Range is truly a group effort, and with my busy spring, I really appreciate the help from everybody to help get the range into shape and set up for the match. Michael Rix came out and mowed this week, and also wired us in a nice ceiling fan in the shooting shed. Thank you Michael! I thought Coralee knocked one out of the park with lunch. Grizz donated a big box of pork riblets and Coralee turned them into a super lunch. Besides the barbecue riblets, she had fresh asparagus sautéed in butter, wilted lettuce salad, homemade baked beans, and strawberry rhubarb crisp for desert. Wow! I thought it was good. Thank you to Grizz for the generous donation and Coralee for the great cooking!

The big news that I am super excited about is to announce the expansion of the shooting shed! We have hired a contractor who will be building a new bunkhouse onto the existing shed. It will have bathrooms, shower, kitchen area, and a large room with bunks for 8-10 folks. Besides adding to the matches (nobody likes porta-potties…) the kitchen will make food prep much easier. We also hope that it may entice shooters that come from a longer distance to shoot more. Now they can drive the day before, spend the night and shoot the next day without having to get a hotel. Anyway, it’s a big deal for Smithmoor and I think it is going to be AWESOME!

In our AA/A class, Grizz came out on top with a 13. Good Job Grizz! His daughter Katy shot her second big bore match ever this month and shot a 7. Glad to see her shooting! Dick Hennebry suffered gun malfunctions and wasn’t able to finish shooting the match. AAA class saw veteran rifleman Joe Kapler take the win with a 25. Joe shoots from the sitting position due to back problems and uses a 35 caliber rifle. He is an inspiration and a great shot. Good Job Joe! I was pleased to be the match winner with a 29. I’m using my new Shiloh 77 in 40-82 and it is shooting lights out on the lay downs. Learning to shoot it offhand is the current challenge….lol A giant thank you to super spotter and shooter Mark Pachares for his careful guidance in the tricky conditions. Mark and I have been shooting together lately and I am really enjoying it. As you can see from the scores, I clearly had the better spotter! We are planning on shooting the International Championship in Raton this summer and are hoping to give everybody a good run for their money.

I hope to see everyone at Watkins next Saturday for their monthly match, as well as we are planning to hold Smithmoor’s June match on June 10th. Of course the Quigley is on the 17th and 18th, and then June 24th there is a big bore BPTR Midrange match scheduled at the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club. Please support it if possible as we would like to encourage those guys to continue to have matches. It is a great opportunity to really see what your silhouette rifle can do. Let me know if you need more info, and I’ll get it to you.

The other tradition we are hoping to continue is to hold our Team BPCR Championship on July 22nd. Last year was our first year, and I thought it was a big success. Look for a flyer to come out soon and find a team mate. The teams consist of one Master or AAA shooter and one AA or A shooter. Mark Pachares and Ed Himelhoch are our reigning champions and are hoping to hold the title. We hold a Calcutta before the match just to make things a little interesting as well. Bring some extra cash….

We have big things planned for our August matches. On Monday August 7th, Dick Hennebry is starting the week with a 22 BPCR silhouette match at the Cheyenne Rifle Club. Then Tuesday is the 22 BPCR Mid Range National Championship also held in Cheyenne. On Wednesday, we are planning a Historic Target Rifle match limited to 38 caliber or less, holy black or smokeless, at Smithmoor East. Look for a flyer, we will have it out soon. Thursday and Friday we will contest for the coveted Smithmoor BPCR Cup, and Saturday and Sunday is the Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCR Championship. Entries are starting to flow in, so get yours in ASAP before they fill up.

Take care my friends,
Cody

Shooter Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Michael Rix 0 10 6 4 20
Cody Smith 2 10 8 9 29 MW
Michael Jackson 3 8 6 5 22

AAA
Doc Bement 2 6 7 4 19
Dan Womer 3 10 4 4 21
JD Farmer 0 6 3 8 17
Dick Farmer 1 7 5 3 16
Mark Pachares 1 10 4 6 21
Joe Kapler 1 10 8 6 25 1st

AA/A
Grizz 0 5 4 4 13 1st
Katy 0 4 0 3 7
Dick Hennebry 3 2 - -
40-65rl

Re: May Smithmoor BPCR

Post by 40-65rl »

The bunkhouse will make the Smithmoor range the place to shoot in the Rocky Mountain area. It is already on the top of my list of places to shoot. The August matches are ones not to be missed. Get you entries in as they all sell out. Entry forms are on the Smithmoor web site, SMITHMOORRANGE.COM, including the .22 Mid Range championships. No entry form or fee for the warm up .22 silhouette match at Cheyenne, just show up at 0800. Directions to the Cheyenne Range are on the .22 Mid Range Match entry Flyer. Great way to get ready for the match at Smithmoor and .22 mid range national championships. It’s the fifth year for the mid range championships and the ninth year for the Rocky Mountain Regional .22 match! Camping is available at the Smithmoor range, hook ups and dry camping with water available, cheap dry camp for free! Hopefully the bunkhouse will be done, if not, still outstanding matches.