Barrel weight

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

chetlongshooter

Barrel weight

Post by chetlongshooter »

For any given Shiloh barrel length what is the weight difference between a round barrel and a standard octagon barrel?
Shiloh Sharps rifles and the Shiloh crew, ain't nothing else like them
John Bly

Re: Barrel weight

Post by John Bly »

A circle inscribed inside an octagon has .9239 of the area of the octagon, so it would seem that if the barrels were the same size that the round barrel would weigh 92% of the octagon barrel.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Luke

Post by Luke »

Though I know on the 50s the round barrel is point diameter.
Limber Up!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

John Bly wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:17 am A circle inscribed inside an octagon has .9239 of the area of the octagon, so it would seem that if the barrels were the same size that the round barrel would weigh 92% of the octagon barrel.
Wouldn't it be the opposite since the major peaks of the octagon barrel would be the diameter of the round barrel? So the round barrel will weigh 8% more than the octagon? Or does Shiloh start with octagon materials, and cut it down to round?
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

It would indeed be pretty weird to start with machining a barrel octagon to make it round afterwards... So the round barrel you start off with for octagoning should always be heavier than the finished product. Of course, you could specify a smaller diameter round barrel, but then you're comparing apples to oranges.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

The round barrel on my 1877 feels bigger than the octagon on my 1874 , I will measure it to know for sure.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Sounds like to me Size Matters.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Smoke? Have you considered the possibility that you have been spending too much time afield searching for road killed 'Possums?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

On half octagon barrels, the round portion is usually almost even with the flats of the octagon portion. So it appears they make the octagon first, and then turn the round so the peaks of the octagon are above the round.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Double D, Tom Klinger down here in Florida went out to Texas and walked away with all the winnings. I thought he would at least got a pair of cowboy boots, but no. I have promised him a pair of possum hide boots, so I'm collecting hides for that. They are sharp boots, I leave the tail on the hide, it drags the ground behind the heal of the boot. Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. :wink:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Subtract the hole in the middle!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, if they are for Tom, better reconsider. The nine banded Armadillo (plentiful in the Sunshine State) provides a far mor durable exoskeleton for native Floridian footwear.... You shouldn't have to ask me how I know.

BTW, Mexico crafts women's purses from the entire Armadillo exoskeleton. Tough doesn't quite describe their durability. :wink:
1minute

Post by 1minute »

Submerge one of each in water and derive their relative volume/weight. I think calculus is involved if one wants to work with all of the internal/external dimensions.
1Minute
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

:lol: :lol:
Tom Klinger
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Barrel manufacturers list barrels as blanks or profiled.
I have seen and received barrels from manufacturers described as blanks and all have been round, most in the rough.
If the barrel is listed by the manufacturer as profiled, that barrel arrives as octagon, (which means 8 sided), whether submerged in water or not.
By deductive reasoning, (reasoning being the operative word here), the profiled barrel that started out round would be lighter than it was as an original round blank because metal, (weight), was removed to convert it from round to profiled.

And no, I was not a rocket scientist in this or an earlier life as far as I know.