Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Re: New member

Post by Perentie »

My opinion.
I started with the 45-70 GG. Went to 45-90 GG.
Now I have gone back to the 45-70 chambered for PP only. Dont have to do anything to the brass now but wash it and the patched boolit just barely seats in the mouth and it shoots better than I got either of the others doing.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Unless you’re really good at sweet talking the Quigley is only a available in 45-70 or 45-110
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I am surprised no one has thrown out the complication with that Q 34" Bbl . I had wanted the Q configuration a decade before the movie came out (kind of made it cliché) but one day about four years ago they had one on their in stock. I jumped on it and found it to be as pretty as I wished. But the 34" Bbl is a beast to shoot offhand. It is in 45-70 which is ok and as many have stated you can always open it up. So my real point is maybe do 45-70 but ask if they would leave the case length stamp off in the event you change it later. And the PP vs GG guys can say which chamber is the best to start with. Like maybe a PP can be re done to GG in same caliber but not the other way around.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Thoughts on 34” barrels and for what it is worth:

My M1878 Borchardt 45-2 7/8" and my 25 pound Shiloh-Sharps M1874 .45-2.4” both have 34” barrels. A Lone Star .45-2.1” Rolling Block that I sold had a 32” barrel. I found that in all three, Black Powder fouling control and bullet lube was crucial as fouling developed in the last 3-4” of the barrels.

I load paper patch in 45-2 7/8" and .45-2.4 and a slightly thicker lube disc works to control the fouling as well as consistent wiping.

Also have a .45-2.4 Shiloh/C Sharps 45-2.4” with a 30” barrel. Fouling is easier to control in that barrel.

If hunting, I do not think I would want a 34" barrel those long tubes are not easy to carry through vegetation, brush, etc., and not as quick to swing. I wonder about the weight of a 34" heavy weight barrel??

BobW is right about Bertram brass. Know a few shooters who experienced problems with it.

As for the .45-2.1" you can up the velocity and performance by loading with FFg and FFFg powder. A former frequent poster here -- Kelly O.Roos -- I believe was an advocate of FFFG in .45- 2.1" case.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

If ya want a 2 7/8 a 2.1 will never due , I have one and I do not consider the 2.1 in any way remotely equal .
Luke

Post by Luke »

You should always get what you want. But I would caution that the Quigley is not an ideal configuration for target shooting. Great off hand/hunting rifle, but for getting down behind a 45-2 7/8" something with a shotgun butt might serve you better. Long term happiness is the goal here. And you will have an excuse for your next Sharps. . .
Limber Up!
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

Remember, these noted opinions of experience are what they like but not necessarily what you will like -the big consideration is the intended use of the rifle. Read a lot, research a lot and then purchase what you want. I own three in 45-70 but I will never shoot the Q and I do not load BP - the 2.1 is just Jim Dandy for my use/ needs - solidify your intentions, read from this learned blog and buy what you want.
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Thanks gents. My apologies for disappearing, we are in the last few weeks of spray season for crop dusting.

I greatly appreciate all the help and input. Does Shiloh do gun smith work on or would I have to have to find a gunsmith who could open the chamber up?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Cody,
Tell us a little more. Is there a particular reason you ordered a "Quigley" and what you plan on doing with it.

If you just want one to shoot stick with the Quigley in 45 2 7/8. Cause that's what you want and nothing else will satisfy.

If you are thinking of going to matches and competing, there are probably better options in models,however if that's the model you want...... But then again, if you are a crop duster, good luck making many matches.

DDs fandango in the desert in February was scheduled just for such people.
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

My reasons for the Quigley are very absurd and dorky.

One of the biggest pushes for me as a kid that got me into firearms was seeing Quigley down under with my Dad. Since then, I have tried to learn and experience as much as I could with firearms.

Now I'm 34 and incredibly blessed with an amazing wife and she was very encouraging about me finally owning something that had been so influential to me.