Any Greasers Tried Beef Tallow?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Blackstone

Re: Any Greasers Tried Beef Tallow?

Post by Blackstone »

1minute wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:41 pm Just looking for simple home lube recipe. Probably had a year's supply on the last prime rib I cooked up.
I use a drivitive of Paul Matthew's lube made with nutegenia factual soP . Instead of needs foor oil I use 2x the amount of that in beef tallow that is rendered from the fat on the outside of the body just under the hide . I've been using it for 20 years . I'm a master class silhouette shooter .
1minute

Post by 1minute »

As to the original question: Does anyone honestly think one would salvage rendered drippings from a well-salted-seasoned and aged prime rib and run them through a barrel? My drippings land in the coals below enhancing the smoke effect, so there's none to be had post cooking anyway.

In my last go around, however, I did trim off about 3 lbs of tallow before seasonings and injections were initiated. That material just looked to have some potential, hence the question. I do appreciate the constructive comments offered.

In a similar vein some years back, a pseudo-mountain man insisted bear grease was the absolute epitome of treatments for my White's boots. He had just added to his supply, and blessed me with an on-the-spot application. It was damn near six months before the stink subsided, and I'm sure glad I didn't have my other 3 pairs along that day.

Might just give some lamb a try when all the 4-H stock goes under the knife this fall. Thanks again,
1Minute
semtav

Post by semtav »

I still have a good supply of mutton tallow from scraps i got from the local plant. Just something we have to do I guess. Once I discovered paper I quit playing with all that stuff. Got a good supply of nasa and eagle lube if I ever need to grease something.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Has anyone tried bacon grease for GG lube?
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Rendered bear grease has no smell and will not go rancid for years if kept covered in a jar.
kw
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 pm Has anyone tried bacon grease for GG lube?
Yeah… no who puts salt down your barrel on purpose?

Kenny W
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 pm
Lumpy Grits wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 pm Has anyone tried bacon grease for GG lube?
Yeah… no who puts salt down your barrel on purpose?

Kenny W
:lol: true!
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
1minute

Post by 1minute »

[quote]Rendered bear grease has no smell and will not go rancid for years if kept covered in a jar.[/quote]

Sounds quite reasonable if no oxygen is available.

Once out of that jar, however, something happened. Have a good one,
1Minute
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

1minute wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:41 pm Just looking for simple home lube recipe. Probably had a year's supply on the last prime rib I cooked up.
When I render fat of any kind I cut it up in small chunks or grind it , then put it in a pot with a small ammount of distilled water and cook it till it starts getting light brown . Then I strain the grease off . Then I put the grease back in the pot with an equal ammount of water and boil it a few minutes , then set it in the fridg to solidify & drain the water off . I repeat that at least 3 times to remove the salt . All the black powder lubes contain animal product's of some sort and have salt in them . The powder we use is far more corrosive than anything we could use as lube . I make my own lube because I want to period , I like doing it and it is equal to anything I've ever bought , better than some actually. If u want to use bacon grease use it , it can be cleaned up by boiling it with distilled water or rain water and the salt will be removed just as much as any commercial lube . Oh yeah and I'm working on making my own powder also 🙃
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

In the 70’s, Bill Ballard had a simple recipe in his booklet/catalog for accessories for shooting Buffalo rifles. 2 parts crisco, 1 part bees wax, and 1 part paraffin wax. If you wipe or blow tube, it works great. If you want to load sporting ammunition, use the lube that I posted earlier. I suppose you could substitute tallow for the crisco, but tallow is either expensive or work intensive with no gain.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Gawd awful lot of difference between harden grease from fat, and rendered tallow.
Once you get the stuff refined to tallow, try 2/3 tallow and 1/3 jojoba oil.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?