First blood

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dozer

First blood

Post by dozer »

My Shiloh finally got it's break in. I bought the rifle 2 years back as my main hunting rifle. #1 sporter, heavy barrel, 45-2.6, fancy wood. This year I put a Malcome scope on it to fix a problem I had last year (a legal elk bull, spike, kept going into the herd and when I would spot him alone with binos, then pick up the rifle, he'd already have moved and I couldn't tell which he was).

I'd hunted 4 days, seeing mostly does and a couple of spikes. I think I put on 12-15 miles (all up hill :lol: ) at least it felt like it. I'd seen what might have been a legal buck (3 pt minimum) and a spike at dusk but it was too dark to know for sure. I went out the next morning but didn't find him. Thought about it all day and decided to leave work a bit early and hit an area I hadn't gotten into.

As I walked UP the hill again I spotted a coyote looking down at me from a ridge. As I walked, I was thinking I would take the logging road under him and maybe get a crack at him. He must have been reading my mind because he bolted cover and headed for the rim rock. Him running spooked 2 bucks. They jumped up then went around the hill. They looked like the pair I'd seen the night before. The race was on.

It was getting late and I had to hurry if I was to get up there with legal shooting light left. 30 minutes later, as I approached the area, a doe 2 fawns and a spike were looking at me. Great. When they spooked, the whole mountain would. They stood and watched me pass less than 40 yds. As I made my final sneak, on a rock rubble road trying to be quiet, some thing caught my eye. A BIG white tail jumped up and ran. Hadn't even known he was there.

By now I figured the other buck was gone so I hurried a bit to see if I could get a shot at whitey. As I came around the corner, no whitey but there stood 5 mulies 175 yds away in the shadow of the hill. After about 5 minutes of glassing, the bigger buck finally moved into some light colored grass and turned his head sideways. 3 pts and eye guards too. I rested the Shiloh on my mono pod, set the trigger, and fired. He jumped, ran forwrd a few steps, turned and went a few more and layed down.

I will have some steaks and a bunch of deer jerky which is a household favorite. 2nd deer with a Shiloh.
Doz
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

That is awesome Dozer. Great shot and great story.

Nothing like a Shiloh Buck.

Great Job.

Headhunter
DR308

Post by DR308 »

:D Congrats DOZER! I have lugged mine around for about 2 weeks now with out seeing any Elk. And deer season does not open until Nov here. Sorry I have not seen you as of late, but trying to sell the house, and doctor crap has pretty much limited me this year. I hope to make a shoot here pretty soon before it shuts down for the winter. Try to catch up with you then. You can tell me how the scope works for you then. ---------Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
dozer

Post by dozer »

Jerry, long time no hear. Good luck on the critters. Elk season opens here this weekend. I hope the shiloh makes more smoke. The forest fires reduced the range quite a bit so maybe my spot will get some action.

There's a shoot on the 11th of Nov. Hope to see you there.
Doz
DR308

Post by DR308 »

:D Dozer: Every year on Nov 11th I put on a veterans breakfest some were around here, This year it is at the Hoodo Creek Cafe in Vay Idaho. So I will not make the shoot. I did get a chance to put around very near one dog in a pack that has been causing trouble up near Fishook Creek, But they were out about 5-600 yds in a clear cut. Close, but I missed. I will still be using it when dear season comes around, so mabey I will get lucky. Congrats again on yours. Now you have a blooded riflegun! ---------- Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664