Thinking about deer season again

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Could be mule deer, but those are generally at Langtree and west of there. Some locals have told me that there are axis deer out here and probably that is the culprit.

It is interesting to hunt in a place where you don't know exactly what you are going to see.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

rdnck I've ordered a adjustable pp mold from Tom Ballard. It is .450 and is tapered per his suggestion for my Shiloh #3 in 45-70. I will be picking it up from him in a few hours at the Great Falls gun show. What load do you recommend I start with? I see you are using Goex express 3f. I have regular Goex 3f on hand how much velocity difference is there on average? Thanks for any info I'm new to paper patching so it will be fun learning.
Thanks,
Dan
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

If you see any folks wearing rags on their heads riding those camels, you know what to do.
rdnck

Too bad--

Post by rdnck »

Dan O--You have fallen into the old paper patch trap. That mold won't shoot as well as it should, even if you are able to load rounds that will chamber. If you have that mold, you have wasted your money. Don't feel bad about it--I have wasted a lot of money over the years on improperly made paper patch molds myself.

GET ORVILLE'S BOOK. It will tell you what you need to know. Orville shoots paper patch, and knows how to do it.

3f Express will give you an additional 30 to 50 fps over the old 3f. My 506 grain paper patched loads run 1239 fps in my 45-70. This is 74 grains of 3f Express in a Remington case. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

rdnck if I may pick your brain some more what would you recommend for a pp mold? I picked up the mold from Tom this afternoon and will give it a try and see what happens. To late now to change I ordered it so I'll try it and go on from there. But I appreciate any input this is all new ground to me.
What is the name of the book you referred to and where is it available?

Thanks
Dan
rdnck

Will you

Post by rdnck »

Dan O--send me your phone number by pm and I will tell you what your problem is. Either that, or I'll pm you my number and we will get on the right track that way. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

rdnck I sent you a pm with the number.
Thanks
Dan
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've got one of Tom's molds also, hope to pour some from it this week. It's for a .40 cal and is .392, straight sided and adjustable. It will be .400 or .401 when patched.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
deerhuntsheatmeup

it just can't be

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Men,

It just can't be that I'm jealous of you guys and your proposed hunt! I mean I get to hunt the hardwood swamps, cornfields, and pine hill country here in MS, and the high mesa'a in NW Nebraska regularly, but I've never hunted anything but steel critters in TX. Anyhow, I know what is creating the tree damage Scott and rdnck, its the rams that broke out of the 3rd bank at Mexia, TX, Coolidge Range, they sum bad mamma jamma's! I 100% guarantee that is what is tearing up the woods in your hunting grounds! AND, I have seen these same rams take a 45-90 hit right in the boilermaker and just laugh at the rifleman! Yep, I promise that's what's gonna get in your sights when you find them, my personal feeling are that you will do better to climb a tree and jump on em' with your Bowie knife clinched in your teeth iffen you really want to kill them. Other than that, they will die of old age.

rdnck, good thing your taken the 110, smaller calibre's just tickle them bad azz goats!

Best of luck to you all, and call iffen you need reinforcements, I will come running!

Regards, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
bobw

Smokin

Post by bobw »

Don't need no 600 Nitro Express ,the the 3.25" 50 will handle anything in front of you and whoever is holding it also. 1/16 for solids and 1/30 for expansion. Only get 40 -50 rounds to the pound so get plenty of powder, course you might find 20-30 rounds a day to be plenty of shooting. And don't cheat yourself on the recoil either 10.5 to 11 lbs of rifle is all anybody needs to haul around hunting. Get that done successfully and then I'll sure like to hear more about some 600 Nitro wonder gun. Besides that wouldn't be an original chambering like the 50-3.25" is in a Shiloh! regards, bobw
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

pot stirrer, bob........................Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
JJ_Miller

Post by JJ_Miller »

Scott, we meet in the strangest places, how are ya' ?

I am working on a Quigley 45/110 for a bison hunt in Jan. I didn't know you were a black and lead shooter ! We'll have to bring them to Raton next summer................JJ
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Yep, we do seem to meet up in the most unusual places. However, as to Raton next June, I may be in Africa keeping Jim Taylor from getting killed by the locals! Hate it, but that was the week that was available.

Looks like I need to take the first full week in November off to hunt. Rdnck, come on down, we will have something to shoot at!
Just me and Big Nose Kate