Buffalo rifle-sights?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

FFG

Buffalo rifle-sights?

Post by FFG »

Pondering a Montana bison hunt next Winter 07-08
I was thinking about ordering a 50-90 #3 , 30 in heavy barrel.
How does that sound?
What sights would be best for buff?
Thanks
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

FFG,

It sure looks like you will be packin enough gun. Great choice, the 50-90 is Tops for Buffler. And that is a Historical Fact.

As for sights, You shouldn't have to worry too much about low light shooting on a buffalo hunt, OR shooting a real long range. From what I gather, Under 300 yards is the norm, with most shots at 150 give or take.

I would get set up with a #111 Globe front sight. It is pretty universal and you can play around with different inserts and find one that suits you.

If you don't want to spend the money on that, get yourself a globe with a Post and ball. It works pretty good.

The blade front Is what I use since I hunt whitetails mainly and is usually low light in the woods. Full Buckhorn Rear and I get along pretty good. I can use these barrel mounted sights farther than I care to shoot at a critter. 200 Yards is a fer piece when using open sights on a deer.

Rear Sights, The Full Buckhorn works well with a blade front. The Full Buckhorn does get in the way when you are using Tang Mounted sights. For tang mounted sights, you will need a Semi Buckhorn Rear sight so it will stay out of your way.

If you go with a Tang Sight, for hunting and such, the MVA 103 works pretty good. They are pricey though. Other sights are available such as the Lee Shaver Sights.

It will take you a while to find the combo you want, and that you can see good. I have about every sight combo available. I tried them all and they all have their different uses and Ranges.\

HH
Michael Johnson

Hunting Sights

Post by Michael Johnson »

Axtell Beach combination sight up front(brighter than MVA), Shiloh's semibuckhorn(wide view) on the barrel, and MVA 130 sporting tang on the rear(short and compact).
FFG

Post by FFG »

Thank you for the come backs, I just ordered my 50-90 with the mva 130,
now for the wait.
Michael Johnson

MVA 130

Post by Michael Johnson »

Kirk can take the elevation adjustment knob and reverse it so it is on the bottom. It makes it so it don't poke you in the cheek if its folded back while you are shooting with the semibuckhorn. He did this on a friend's Business Shiloh for hunting,
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

MVA did an inverted staff adjustment rod for me. Once used to it, it is no handicap..

However, for hunting, I am using barrel sights.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I use the MVA 130-series sight with no elevation screw and no windage for hunting. No chance of snagging, easy to adjust for different ranges once you've done the testing and developed a small chart.

Clarence