My son's BPCR rifle!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

My son's BPCR rifle!

Post by RMulhern »

MLR

Post by MLR »

The link didnt work for me.

Michael
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

MLR wrote:The link didnt work for me.

Michael
MLR

Maybe this....will work better:

MLR

Post by MLR »

nice buck!

Michael
RMulhern

My son's BPCR rifle!

Post by RMulhern »

MLR

Brandon can 'shoot the fonk' out of my BPCR rifles....but he won't hunt with one! His luck comes like mine; everything we see.....is very early....or very late when it's difficult to see sights....of any kind! Maybe I'll mount a scope on one of mine akin to what Kenny Wasserberger has on his for range work. I'm thinkin on it....just for hunting! :roll: :roll:
bobw

Post by bobw »

Sharpie that there rifle appears to have the bolt handle on the wrong side,is he wrong handed or wrong eyed? And sure them don't look like whinner(308 win) rounds either? Nice buck though and Happy Holidays to you and yours. bobw
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="bobw"]Sharpie that there rifle appears to have the bolt handle on the wrong side,is he wrong handed or wrong eyed? And sure them don't look like whinner(308 win) rounds either? Nice buck though and Happy Holidays to you and yours. bobw[/quote]

bobw

Like me.....right handed.....left eye dominant! And no...not .308 rds. but 7MM WSM! At 800 yds. that rifle/load will put 'em all into the end of a styrofoam coffee cup! :lol: :wink:
jerryl

Post by jerryl »

nice buck
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice buck! Given the choice of Sharps rifles, lead bullets and black powder or jacketed bullets in brass cases, telescopic sights and stainless rifles, guess which the buffalo hunters of 1870 would have chosen? There would have been wagon loads of used Sharps for sale, cheap! I love BPCRs and muzzle loaders but when I hunt here in AK I always wind up taking a .338 repeater of one kind or another, especially deer hunting on Kodiak. Alder thicket and brown bear make the single shot BPCR seem out of place to me. One mans oppinion. SSD
pete

Post by pete »

First off Nice buck.
Secondly; mdeland; You say the buffalo hunters of the 1870's would have used our modern day rifles. I say, yea you're right and your point is?
I mean if you want to use a modern rifle to hunt with, fine. I just have never understood the attitude people have when they say the old timers would have used this or that if they would have had them. To me it sounds like some people think there's some sort of historical link with the past because the hunters of old Would have used our modern guns. I think most of us adopt these types of guns/loads because of the history and challenge not because they're the most efficient.
I went coyote hunting a couple of weekends ago with my .243. I wasn't thinking "If the old timers would have had a .243 they would have used it" . I just wanted to use it.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Hi Pete. My post was in reference to MLR saying that his son shoots his BPCRs well but hunts with flat shooting modern rifles. I pointing out that his son was pretty smart in his choice and would have been in the company of the hide hunters also if they had the same choices. Here in Alaska it can be risky business to go into brown bear country alone with a long barreled single shot, long range aperture sights and lead bullets. Having said that, some do it and have done it. I wonder how many have tangled with a sow and cubs or a grumpy old soar toothed boar, have lived to tell about it and go afield again, alone with a single shot. This of course would not be a problem in the lower 48 unless possibly in hog country but can get you killed up here. People are chewed up and killed almost every year here by brown and black bear and some are heavily armed.SSD
45sharps

Post by 45sharps »

:roll:
pete

Post by pete »

mdeland; Sounds like you use what you need to to get the job done up there.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah Pete, an incident that happened to me a few years ago on the south end of Kodiak near Alitak made me rethink my armament. My pardner and I after killing an gutting a deer were headed back to the cannery with a load of meat. He had a bow and I had two cartridges left for my .284 sheep rifle. We were cutting alder filled draws diagonally when we decided to take a break for lunch at the top of one that was maybe 75 yards across, rim to rim. It was fairly open except for a good thick patch at the bottom. We stopped and dumped our packs and began to fish out some lunch when we heard the alder cracking pratically at out feet and out boiled a brown bear boar that we would have stepped on had we not stopped for a bite to eat. He could and very likely would have got us both before we even knew he was in a bed in that tangle. The deer trail we were following would have put on right on top of him. I have come back a few times by myself in the dark and I always get a ribbing for all the noise I make on the way with a load of deer. Actually in the instance I sited it would not have mattered how big a rifle I had. He would have had us both cold and there would have been no time for a shot. If you have not seen one move it is hard to describe how fast they are. Still the other side of the story is that I have been hunting in bear country for 35 years and have never been chewed yet and hope to keep it that way. I built a 280 cased ,338 improved that I use for every thing now. It replaced my .338 mag that I used for twenty years. It'll push a 210 Nosler partition to 2900 fps over my chrongraph and is good all around medicine. It doesn't get near the use of my 45-70 target rifle though and my PJ, 01 and 03s. We shoot every month and some times double up. SSD
pete

Post by pete »

mdeland; Definately sounds like you guys can thank your lucky stars. It's a good thing the bear wasn't in a bad mood. Knock on some wood when you say you haven't been chewed on yet.