High Wire Moose Act

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kamotz

High Wire Moose Act

Post by kamotz »

Pogo Moose Incident - Fairbanks , Alaska

"They were laying new power cables which were strung on the ground for miles. The moose are rutting right now and very agitated. He was thrashing around and got his antlers stuck in the cables. When the men (miles away) began pulling the lines up with their big equipment, the moose went up with them. They noticed excess tension in the lines and went searching for the problem. He was still alive when they lowered him. to the ground. He was a huge 60 inch bull and slightly peeved !"
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Kamotz,

After handling lots of big deer captured alive under drop nets, I can only imagine the attitude that moose had after being hoisted 50' or more off the ground by his antlers. With the rut on my guess is when he got back on the ground with all 4 legs under him he had a really serious case of the shorts; we're talking well beyond peeved.

Regards
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

Whenever I see a picture like this I like to check it out with Snopes.com

According to Snopes, the "high wire moose" story is true. The unfortunate part is that officials decided to kill the moose rather than tranqualize and free him. Under the circumstances can you really blame them?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It's a true story guys as I read about it in our local newspaper that my daughter works for here in Anchorage the day it happened. I have seen moose hung up here in town on tire swings also. The deep snow brings them into the Anchorage bowl to eat yard bushes. They eat our rose hips every year and mountain ash is also a favorite. I ran into a cow and calf this very eveining while walking the dogs. 2000 head are said to winter in the Anchorge bowl every year according to fish and game. Lots of road kill this year as the snow is unusally deep. They are very bad to hit in a car because their legs are so long. When a car cuts their pins out from under them the torso comes through the windshield. A few years ago a man was stomped to death at the University of Alaska here in town a few blocks away after some students had riled it up with snow balls.Saw an actual video of it on the evening news. This place is still wild even with all the modern hardware around. Brown and black bear are still shot every year out of peoples back yards. I routinely carry my 629 , 4 inch to take the dogs for a walk. Better to have it and no need than the other way around. SSD
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

This guy does it on his own.
The pic was taken at the Brewster Lake campsite about 20 miles from where I live.

I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I'ld say that is a pretty danged good quality length of line. I hope it held so that ol' boy didn't fall and get hurt.

I think about the only way to make a bird feeder safe from the squirrels, coons and bears would be to use an old fashioned sky-hook. :roll:
Lee Stone