Wanna try horseback antelope hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Post by pete »

Bob and Tallperson; Thanks for the advice. The blood on his nose at feeding time sounds good. I'll probably forego the goat this time around. If all else fails some Vapo Rub or mentholatum in his nose should work. Maybe I'll try Vapo Rub first and see if he can smell blood before we go.

I was talking to the rancher whose land I'm hunting on. They hobble their horses when they're out doing ranch work. He said the hobbles should work fine because my horse won't really have anywhere to go back to like he does when he's at our place and he wants to go to the barn. Makes sense.

The old timers no doubt had the same issues with regard to horses to deal with. They undoubtly had some problems too. :roll:
rdnck

Solution

Post by rdnck »

pete--No need to traumatize or injure your horse. After you shoot the antelope, ride the horse back to the truck and trailer and unload the four wheeler. Ride the four wheeler to the antelope, and load the antelope on the four wheeler. Use the four wheeler to take the antelope back to the truck. You and the horse will both have a lot less trouble and a lot more fun. The antelope won't know the difference. shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
pete

Post by pete »

Well I got an antelope but not on the day I rode my horse. Day 1 I took him out and had a great day riding but had a problem keeping him close when I'd get off and crawl over a hill to look at antelope. He never ran off but could walk fast enough to cover 1/4 mile in about 20 min even with front to rear leg hobbles. Now had I been using my .243 I could have had shots at 3 antelope that first day including a shot at a nice buck, but with the 45-70 I never got close enough especially when I had to worry about my horse walking off.
This area isn't like one of those areas that are shown on hunting shows. It's hunted hard, so these animals are pretty jumpy. I even watched 3 bucks the second afternoon that spooked a jackrabbit and were in turn spooked. Kinda funny actually.
A couple of things though. 1. I used my full size antelope target to simulate putting a real antelope on his back. It took a couple of tries but he got where he'd tolerate it. Even with the wind blowing and the target flapping around.
2. I tried Vapo rub to cover up the smell of blood/meat and it worked just fine. I went to one of the local meat processors and they gave me some blood shot elk meat. He couldn't smell it when he had Vapo rub in his nose. He wasn't spooked at all.
Day 2 I had a stalk on the 3 bucks I mentioned earlier but blew it because I got in a hurry because they were moving and the sun was getting low. Generally evening is the best time to stalk antelope because they seem to loose some caution. I don't know why but they do. The bad thing this time was I was also moving into the sun instead of having it to my back.
Day 3 I found a small buck and doe and worked on them for 3 hours. With some luck including having them change directions and work back toward me I finally got a shot at the extreme range of 50 yds. I got him about 3/4 of a mile from where I first saw them and coupling that with the 3 hours and my horse would have been a long way away. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a big one. The one I got wasn't a big buck but in that hard hunted country with a bp cartridge rifle he was big enough.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Pete,
Congratulations on your Antelope :D What load did you use and how did it perform? Ya got a photo's????
Dan
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

They do sell earplugs for horses. If you know any mounted CAS shooters ask them what they use for earplugs.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Dan; The load was a 430 gr, 3 groove, small meplat (.200) flat nose pure lead bullet from a Brooks mold. The design was mine. Using pure lead the small meplat still expanded. Hopefully this bullet will do double duty for silhouette chickens. Powder charge was 74 gr. of Swiss 2f and a Fed mag match primer in a Win case. Vel is 1300 fps.
I was lying flat as they came up and when he got closer he spotted me so I knew I didn't have much time. There were some cows walking by behind him just then so I had to wait for them to get out of the way. As they cleared I fired and he spun around to run at the same time. I hit him high and broke his back after which I had to fire a finishing shot. I hate that when it happens.
I'm not smart enough to post a picture besides I didn't use my Shiloh I used my Lonestar rolling block.
Ken; My horse and I do cowboy mounted shooting and he wears ear plugs. That wasn't the problem on this trip. I just couldn't get him to stay put when I was gone.
Coal Creek Davis

Post by Coal Creek Davis »

Pete,
I take my vacations via horse back. One of my fears is that I will be left afoot ,so I take no chances that I will loose a horse. First get a hobble that uses a cuff on each leg of the horse and is attached to each side by a steel chain. What you are after here is a single leg hobble that can be used on one rear leg. Just break the chain and keep the d ring so you can tie a rope to it. Then just hobble the front legs like you have been doing and tie up the one back leg to the front hobble. Horse can not run trussed up like this. I let them go all night and they rarely get more than 200 yds away. Also were you hobble them makes a difference. Horses will not travel up hill when hobbled as much as they will down hill.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Coal Creek. I thought about that method but was told I'd probably have an accident so I didn't do it. Sounds like you have good luck with it though and I should have gone ahead and tried it. Where were you a few months ago? :lol: Just joking of course. It's something I'll definately try in the future. Thanks.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Pete, sounds like you had a great trip, and your horse did just fine. Congrats!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Brent

Post by Brent »

You guys ever pack out your animals on pack saddles instead of just thrown over the saddle? I'm looking to by a pack saddle or two and train my horses to pack meat (elk with luck). I'm still trying to decide about decker vs sawbuck saddles. Any hints or suggestions - my boys aren't too worried about dead deer though Arlo is a bit nervous, but both will stick their noses in the gut cavity to check it out.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Pete, do you use a hackamore or bit? If you leave the haulter on under the bridal and take one of those cork screw tie downs he should stay put and you can leave the hobbles at home. They go in hard ground pretty fast and alot of guys use them up here to tie there airplanes down when leaving them for a hunt. Should be at least as fast as putting on hobbles. You'll need a cross piece to put through the triangle at the top if it's hardpan soil but it should be light and easier to carry than hobbles and they really hold things down. Worth a look see anyways. I sure miss my old horse but I never did any hunting with him. I have hunted moose twice from horse back and it takes three loads with them on a large bull. Blood is an issue with some nags as has been addressed very well and there must be a barrel of it in a moose but the ones we used seemed to get used to it after awhile. They sure are good watch dogs and have good noses too as they will smell a bear a good ways off and will always let you know. I wonder if bringing the horse up when your cleaning the animal would help him get used to the sent as he sees what your doing. I haven't tried this but most horses are smarter than we think and this might take the fear out of it for him. Anyway just some thoughts that may be of help. SSD
pete

Post by pete »

Ken; I did have a good time and except for not staying put my horse did do great. I've walked alot of miles over the prairie and ridden less but it's easy to see why horses were so important to the old timers. Putting miles behind you is alot easier with a horse.
Brent; I've never packed anything with a horse but maybe somebody here has and can help you.
mdeland; I thought about those things too but I was going to be in pretty sandy country so I didn't think it would work. Also I was afraid that if he turned around with the rope laying on the ground he'd tangle his legs up in it. I'm a firm believer in Vicks Vapo Rub in the horses nose for the blood issue. I tried it with him and he absolutely couldn't smell some bloody elk meat that I practically touched to his nose. Thanks for the replies.
Tallperson

Post by Tallperson »

Morning Brent . I have packed in camps and packed out game numerous times when I was guiding in Wyo. and Taking trips inot the Colorado mnts. I really prefer using my sawbuck saddles and good canvas panniers. THey are tried and true and very serviceable. I also have a set of saddle panniers that are made out of light canvas and can be rolled up behind your saddle while you are riding and actively hunting. Then if an animal is taken , the saddle pannier unrolls and fits over the saddle with a big pannier sized bag on each side. I have quartered big mule deer and put a half in each side. you then get the oppertunity to lead your horse and pack out your game. I usually make two trips with an elk of any size. If necessary when I get the first load of elk meat out I then go back with my saddle and packhorse to retrieve the rest and being able to ride both ways it is a faster trip. Tallperson
45-120 Longrange Express 34" barrel Shoots a long way and hits 'em real hard.
FJ

Post by FJ »

Brent

The Decker Vs. Sawbuck question has been known to start fists to
fly between packers.Probably won't be an issue to
ask that question at you local watering hole in Iowa.But take care
if you travel to the Selway/Bitterroot country.
I believe that the Decker system is better and easier to learn.
The basket hitch is an easy one to learn and will be the hitch to
tie to carry game quarters,Hay ect..Any type of hard pannier
is easy to hook to the decker rings.And if you want to get historical
you can even throw a diamond hitch on a decker.{wish I could
remember how}
Smoke Elser's book will get you statrted.

FJ
FJ

Post by FJ »

Sorry

Ever since that black mule kicked me in the head I can't
spell for ^%*&(@#

FJ