Hi Gents

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Congratulations on your moose; that is really neat being able to do that with an original rifle. :D If you don't mind, I would be really interested in knowing something about the trail of ownership of your rifle from Wyoming in the late 1870's to the present day :?: Just curious about where this old Sharps may have been and what it has been doing over the last 125 years or so. 8)

Regards
kimwcook

Post by kimwcook »

Hey Evil, if you don't mind my asking (because I'm going to ask anyway)what did it run ya (you just might not answer), approximately, to do that hunt? What was the trials and tribulations, if any?

My Dad went moose hunting in BC about three times while I was growing up. Kind of planted the seed to go moose hunting. Can't really do it down in the states because it takes too dog gone long and the odds are too high applying for the draw. Thanks.
Old Law Dawg
bobw

Re: Hi Gents

Post by bobw »

[quote="EvilTwinMar"]Well,Just got back from a moose hunt in Newfoundland. I killed a bull with my original Sharps 45-110. I will tell this: 500gr paper patched bullet cast 30:1 from an RCBS nose pour mold. Bell cases, 105gr GOEX FFG Express. WLR primer. Range 75 yds. )
Okay boys, I see it ,read it and will bring it to the fore. the 45 cal RCBS nose pour, casts bullets to patch to Groove dia. and that obviously worked for Evil. Got it ? Evil did you use grease cookies or did you wipe after every shot? The devil is in the details or you will get hounded to hell for them. Nice bull, great sounding hunt, congratulations. bobw
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Bob its a 45-110 he only needed 1, shot and he didnt prolly have to wipe between it :lol: :lol: :lol: dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
rdnck

Different strokes--

Post by rdnck »

bobw--Take note that EvilTwin has an original rifle that is a period conversion. His barrel is not .450/.458 like ours. Trust me. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
bobw

Post by bobw »

So Bill, what do you suppose those bore diamensions were for a matter of general interest. I been fooling with the 450 BPE for awhile now and have found that the original Eley rounds feature ppb's patched to GROOVE dia. They work on some occaisions and don't work on others. My own experience shows the patched to groove dia works well in freebored guns. Wheras I'll deferr to the bore dia patching in original style chambers. How over sized do you think Evil's guns' bore is? allways interested in your observations... bobw
rdnck

.450/.458 it ain't

Post by rdnck »

bobw--I spoke to EvilTwin about his rifle a couple of months ago, before he went on the hunt. I don't recall the specifics of the measurments of the chamber or the barrel. All I really remember is that he said the chamber is not one of the tight, dedicated paper patch chambers, and that the barrel was not .450/.458, it was a bit bigger. However, it is NOT an original Sharps factory barrel, as it is not a FACTORY conversion. That means that the chamber is not an original Sharps chamber either. It is not freebored, however.

What it means is that paper patched bullets will shoot in a number of different chamber/barrel dimension scenarios if you get the right relationship between the barrel and the bullet. One thing for sure and certain--EvilTwin's 45-110 hammered a full grown bull moose with one shot. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
EvilTwinMar

Post by EvilTwinMar »

Rdnck it is VERY much a Sharps Factory conversion. Boker contracted with Sharps to convert several hundred civil War carbines to cartridge. Mine IS one of them. The bore is .459, I do use a lube disc and the slug is pretty much a match for the original 500 gr PP slug. Tapered and cup base. It is a Bridgeport barrel btw. Some of the Sharps factory comments I have seen alludes to the chambers of thei Creedmore and Long Range rifles to be very precisely cut. I am a mite too young to have been there, but it makes a bit of sense that the hunting rifles chambers would be a bit less "tight". Sorta like a 5.56x45 NATO chamber and a .223 Rem chamber. Same round, different chamber--one is for very cruddy ammo and conditions.