The "instinctive" nature of a rifle

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I took the afternoon off and took my rifle to the range.

I now have good zeroes for 25, 50, 100 and 200yds. I need to fill in the gaps a little, but that won't take long.

I'll spend some time this weekend loading ammo. Running awfully low!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Dude, its nut cuttin time here in Missouri. Firearms deer starts tomorrow morning. I am totally freekin out. Can't wait.

My Shiloh is SOOOO Drilling. Got my ranges syphered out to 200 yards. Maybe a tad further.

Hopefully I will only have to shoot 50 yards or less. That sure would be nice.

I won't be near a computer until December 3rd. Hopefully I will have some pictures to post.

Have a good one Scott,

Headhunter
Scott Tschirhart

Good luck Brother!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Don't know if its nut cutting time here in South Dakota but the West River Deer seasons starts tomorrow. Came home early today, set up a target, fired 6 rounds made a slight windage and elev adj and am dead on at a 100yds. Unlike you guys I'm using a crosshair insert and the next to biggest hole on the Hadley cup. Where I'm hunting is Badlands with a fairly light colored background so the crosshairs will show up well, if they don't I've got a post insert that is the same height to put in. Know my drops and highs out to 200 yds and won't mess with come ups or go downs I'll just move my point of aim. 565 gr ppb's 20-1 pushed along with 145 grs of Fg Express, unlike 50-90's the 3 1/4" cased bullets go thru deer any angle. Place I am hunting is public land and well used by both people and deer. I get opportunities and some deer every year. Meat needs to be made for sure in the morning. Best of luck to all. bobw
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

BobW-

Good luck on your hunt. How fast that load moving out?

I think I found a load for my "little" 50-90 that will put holes in both ends of an animal from most any angle. I say "think" because it has not drawn blood yet, but my instinct tells me it should. It is a 700 grain bullet govt. style NEI 378B at about 1230 fps. I'll let you know how it works, penetration wise, when I get something with it.

Manny
bobw

Post by bobw »

I went to make meat this morning. At 0800 I watched a mule buck and doe bed down about a 1/4 mile from my observation point (badlands terrain) He wasn't a big buck and she wasn't a big doe, some folks wouldn't have bother them, me I went to make meat. I ambled over that way and bellied up the last badlands slope as I hit the cheat grass covered flat top. I pushed the daypack in front of me,slid the LRE over the top, eared back the hammer, and set the trigger. I spotted the pair bedded at about 90 yds, too easy for some, me I showed them the front of a Shiloh Sharps. They were about 15 ft apart , I figured to shoot the first one to get up and stretch. The buck did and besides the wind in the grass, the boom of a full throttle 3 1/4" Sharps was the last thing he ever heard. He covered 35yds on the death run from a dbl lung shot. While some would have done an immitation of a scoring NFL player you see in hunting videos after a kill, me I just rolled the LRE to the left ejected the empty and thumbed in a fresh one. Rolled it back upright and eared the hammer, reset the vernier and set the trigger. The doe hadn't moved and took 20 minutes to get up for her turn. Made less than a perfect shot this time and had to shoot her again as she went by at 45 yds. Making meat with the Sharps, thats what it is all about guys. bobw
Scott Tschirhart

Thanks Bob....I would muc rather hear a story that has the ring of truth to it than some of the tales that do not include the lesser facts. Good story and congratulations.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Damm, I love this forum, you guys are the best!!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Stan K

Post by Stan K »

Scott,
Iv'e been shooting for over 40 years. My take out gun is the one I have the most confidence in. It has given me the most spectacular kills and it has open primitive sights. I will get torched here for saying it, but its a 54 Lehman flinter. It's been to Friendship to the Rockies and then the Seirras with me. I know what that 140 gr. charge will do at 2250 ft with patched RB and I am a lot more comfortable from 10 ft out to 150 yds for hunting than any other gun I own (modern as well). I hunt relaxed as well as I hunt primitive from mocs on up. That RB taught me a lot about rifle shooting. That lock taught me how to follow through and "look through the fire". It aint that hard. Theres no intent to puff up here but we shoot golf balls at 50 yds with 90 to 95 per cent hits. We shoot and split balls on axes and when the lights good we play checkers from half a football field away from the board. Riflemen have been doing this for ages. It's fun.
Stan
There that feeling as "being one". There's also a high satisfaction because you worked for it. That feeling in your gut when doubt never crosses your mind can only be had by the pleasure of spending those many hours together. In today's modern world we try to buy our bird or target. ( I'm guilty as charged) In yesterday, they learned, because they could not afford to buy it. Stan K.
Orville

Post by Orville »

StanK
I've shot a lot of rb myself, the last flinter I built was John Bivans interpation of a lancaster. I have made meat with it also, spilt rb on axes, and we used to shot charcoal brickettes at 50 yds makes for a good puff of black dust.
While I worked at Fort Union NHS there was the lower part of a lancaster patch box dug up, never seen any photos of this type of pattern. I made a patch box using this pattern and also put the thumb peice in on the wrist and the hunters star on the check peice, these were spec'd on the rifles built for the Amercian Fur Co.
The patch box was held on by small steel wood screws which were still in the peice dug up, rusted in place.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Scott Tschirhart

Stan,

I don't think anyone here would torch you for what you said. I too spent a lot of time with a round ball gun and my old .58 will kill better than anything I have ever seen. Still working on my flintlock technique though. :oops:

I shoot with the Alamo Area Muzzleloader group outside of San Antonio. We have a private range and there is a great deal of comraderie among those who shoot muzzleloaders.

I went through this same transition with archery, and I much prefer the longbow and cedar arrows to the modern wheel bows. However, I will be the first to admit that the wheel bows are easier to shoot.

The problem is that I see folks every year as I guide them on the ranch and they have the best of modern equipment, but they just cannot shoot. They take no joy in their shooting or their ability and they just don't look at a rifle like I do, or some of my close friends that I hunt with. We realy love the rifle and treat it with the respect that it deserves.

I'm glad you have that relationship with your .54.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Stan,

I used a .54 percussion shooting 230 grain round balls to take a mule deer and a cow elk a few years ago. I practiced getting good with the rifle shooting ground squirrels once a week for 3 months before the hunt. With ground squirrels you get some good shooting in (20-50 shots per day) at various ranges, and you get in the habit of "aiming small, missing small."

Scot:

Some people see firearms as a means to an end, not caring how proficient they may be. Even people who should know better. Some of the people I work with, who depend on their ability with a firearm for their lives, can't hit the broadside of a barn and have to repeatedly remediate their monthly firearm quals. Once they fail a qual, they then have to pass the same test twice in a row before passing. We have sit people on desk duty, without their weapon, for failing to pass. If they fail two days in a row, they can be subject to discipline. I just can't understand the mentality, I would be so embarrassed.

Manny
Stan K

Post by Stan K »

To all of you.

Since we re all sitting around this fire, I have this question;
I see on TV that it seems everyone has gone to inline and slug. My experience with the RB is it makes devastating kills ( like a bomb) when you needle those balls into the lungs. True, it will take out the whole shoulder of a big Mulie and issue of blod shot meet is certainly there, but if a RB is shot with the same theory of an arrow in deflection, it's just hard to beat.

Are my experiences rare or is it just me? Like to hear what some of you have experienced. Stan
Scott Tschirhart

My experience has been the same as yours Stan. But those round balls I was shooting are really soft and I think they flatten out pretty good...I don't know because I have never recovered one. That .58 of mine takes them down quick and lets the air right out of them.

Likewise, in opposition to many here who I will not argue with, I prefer a round nose on my Sharps hunting bullets. I know that theoretically, the flat nose bullets should do more on impact, but I just don't see it in the field and I have shot quite a few animals now with the Lyman Gov't bullet. It may be that since I shoot them at 30-1, that they get some expansion, but again, I have never recovered one.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Stan,

Those RB will work fine if you hit them in the right spot and the range isn't too far. The biggest limiting factor is that their shape don't cut the wind. It causes them to lose velocity faster, and have more wind drift, than conicals. So I think the biggest advantage to conicals and sabots and the like is since they hold their velocity better, they will have more power to deliever out at further ranges. Likewise, more penetration due to their shape. I like to keep my muzzleloading hunting to about 125 yards, and can shoot with the inlines to that distance if the wind is light. Like Scott, my RB's are pure lead. I didn't find the one from my mule deer, the one on the cow elk did stay inside and was flattened on one side to about 1" diameter, the shape of the ball was still visible on the backside and you could see the imprint of the patch. I actually shot the cow twice, and one of the two exited, I couldn't tell if it was the first shot or the second as the angles were about the same. After the first shot she just stood there, so I put another one about 3" from the first. I would be surprised if the RB's didn't expand if they are pure lead.