Best Darn Lube Receipt!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Best Darn Lube Receipt!

Post by Jerry Williams »

Shooters who have tried this lube receipt have reported good success and have repeated asked for the receipt. So here it is: Williams Lube #5 : :lol:

4 Lg. Tbsp of Safflower Oil
4 Lg. Tbsp of Neatsfoot Oil
2 Lg. Tbsp of LubeGuard
1 1/4 cups of beeswax
1 cup of Mutton Fat

Special Notes: when hunting in the fall or winter, I have added another 1/3 cup of neatsfoot oil to the above to make it softer. LubeGuard is available from NAPA and is part # (R417664). The LubeGuard makes this stuff slicker then snot. I have also added Cabelas Moly Powder which turns it black, however, I do not think this is necessary or adds anything of value. I make this up in quart jars and (after removing the metal rigs and lids) melt it repeatedly in the microwave with no ill effects on the lube.
I pan lube mostly, however it can be poored directly into lubersizes. Good Luck!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Buckskinner

Bullet lube

Post by Buckskinner »

Jerry

Looks like a good mix!! :D

A question though, where th hell do you get Mutton fat?

Thanks!!
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

off the slowest mutton in the band of course.

mutton tallow is pretty good stuff, way back when I was a kid usted to mix it with neatsfoot oil for shoe and harness grease it sure lasted a lot longer than plain oil wished I had saved it for now.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Buckskinner, You get mutton fat from Sheep. Just one more reason to make the sheep nervous in Idaho. (OK, I couldn't resist). Any butcher shop or meat cutter (usually on a smaller scale) can save you some. It does not have to be rendered, raw fat is fine just melt it. If you have locker plants in the area, they would be a good source if they butcher sheep. I suppose in a pinch, you could use pork fat (maybe bacon grease), But I can not guarantee the outcome. The experiments continue!Good Luck to ya!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Omak Cowboy

pork fat

Post by Omak Cowboy »

"I suppose in a pinch, you could use pork fat (maybe bacon grease), But I can not guarantee the outcome. The experiments continue!Good Luck to ya!"

If anyone here watches the "Cooking Channel" you may have heard Emeril Lagassi's constant comment "PORK FAT RULES". I just can't imagine what his arteries must be like.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Buckskinner

mutton lube

Post by Buckskinner »

Thanks Guys!

I knew I would get a reply on the mutton question if nothing else :wink:

I am going to give this Mutton Lube a try, everone has tried SPG :lol: By the way the "Big 50" is on the counter at Shiloh. Leaving Sun. to pick her up.

Watch for large white clouds in Idaho.
Gary
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Oh yeah, my Big 50 wont be ready until this coming spring. :cry:

But, I should be getting "The Call" on my .45/90 any day now. :D

When I come out in that direction, I'll try to bring them both. 8) And for that reason I plan on driving. :idea:
Lee Stone
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I wouldn't use pork fat, especially bacon grease. The salt in cured pork is not anything I want in my rifle barrel, even with BP cleaning procedures.
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

Jerry

Do you think lanolin would work in place of the mutton fat? Same animal different side of skin. :?:
Delizar

Post by Delizar »

How about just plain old Lard? It can be found in many Grocery Stores in large bricks. "Farmer Johns" brand comes to mind for folks in California.

Mark Hanson
Buckskinner

mutton lube

Post by Buckskinner »

Lee

Come see us anytime!! Bring lots of ammo and stay awhile.

I hope you will post some photo's on your web when you get the 45-90 I for sure want to see another fine rifle!

Gary
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

cgdavid, I have used lanolin in mixes before and it is good when you need to soften up a lube and retain the ability to hold together and stay in grease grooves. I would follow the receipt as listed above. You can experiment on your own, God knows I continue to play with this stuff. But the best batch is as listed. I am not even going to make suggestions here because the more you substitute the worse your lube will be. Good Luck! Make Smoke! Teach a Kid to shoot!
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Re mutton fat:

I only hastily scanned the answers, but specifics seem to have been assiduously avoided. Dixie Gun Works sells mutton fat for the muzzle laoding crowd, apparently for a patch lube. I don't have a current catalog or I could quote you chapter and verse. Good luck, Bruce
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

mutton tallow is on page 285 in the 50 edition of dixie gun works $3.50 for 12 to 16 oz
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

Thanks Jerry.

I'm getting close to having everythig together. If you would, can you verify the NAPA part number for Lubeguard? I need it for this and another lube recipe but NAPA insists they never heard of it or the part number. All's they know about is lubeguard filters. The number R417664 didn't ring a bell with their system.

Thanks.....