Where should the weight of a rifle be?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Where should the weight of a rifle be?

Post by Texas Shooter »

To all:

I posted the following message for Kirk. I would like to have any input other shooters could add to the question. Thanks.

I am interested in putting a rifle together that falls just below the 15 lb. level for competition. Which is the best method to acheive this goal? Bull Barrel (30 inch) or Heavy Octagon (34 inch) or ??? This is for a 50 caliber rifle.

"Regarding the weight, does it make it more comfortable to shoot to have the weight back towards the shooter (Bull Barrel) rather than have it further out away from the shooter (Heavy Octagon 34 inch barrel)?

Is the extra 4 inches of sight radius (Heavy Octagon 34 inch barrel) not worth the shift in weight out towards the muzzle?"

Any thoughts on the "Balence" of a rifle.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Opinions are just like armpits... everyone has one and most of them stink... So here is my opinion.
I prefer to have the weight toward the front of the rifle. This helps to reduce muzzle jump and facilitates faster target acqusition. I think the felt recoil is more a function of stock design than weight distribution. With the Bull barrel or the long heavy barrel, the amount of weight forward of the balance point is probably about the same, but I would give the longer barrel the vote because of the leverage theory from point of balance.
Who knows for sure?
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Omak Cowboy

weight

Post by Omak Cowboy »

I'm like the Doc. I like my guns to be just tad muzzel heavy as I agree on target aquisition.
My rifle has it's balance point just very very sightly ahead of the rear sight.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

gun weight..

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

target pistol shooters add adjustable weights to the middle/end of the barrel. the finest muzzeloaders are swamped so the weight is at the end of the barrel. archers use stabilizers that reach out far beyond ones imagination.. as weight is added to the end of the barrel its recoil dampening is the same.. but its force against rise and weaving is greatest at the end. my opinion only.. good luck dave...
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

It sound like simple physics from what I'm hearing. Having the weigh out at the end of a "Lever" will have the greatest impact on recoil management. Am I wrong on this?

For those who have shot a 50-90. What calibers would you compare the recoil to?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Texas shooter
I ran some numbers on my .338 ruger all weather that weighs 7 lbs with no scope.
with a 250 gr bullet it has a recoil energy of 46.56 ft lb and recoil velocity of 18.68 Boy that thing hurts so good on sand bags,

The 14 lb .50-90 with a light 450 gr bullet has a recoil of 25.41 ft lb and recoil velocity of 10.81

the 8 lb .30-06 with a 180 gr has a recoil energy of 23.10 ft lbs and recoil velocity of 13.64

My 15 lb .45-3 1/4 with a 520 gr bullet is 23 ft lb
hope that helps.

Kurt
ssdave

Post by ssdave »

I have a .50-110 rolling block that weighs in at 15 pounds. It has a 1 1/4" round x 35 1/2" barrel. It is too much of a good thing, and is very hard to hold offhand, as the weight tips too much forward. I am going to add a denser wood buttstock to help, and will probably cut back the length a bit also. Prone, the long barrel makes it easier to hold on target without wavering.

I am building another one, that will have an octagon barrel, tapering from 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" and it will be 32 inches long. I'm also using denser wood and a heavier design stock on it, and I just weighed the components and it should come out at 15 pounds also. I think it will work a lot better than the long barrel one.

I have a third .50 rolling block, in .50x 2.2inches, similar to .50 alaskan. It has a 26 inch tapered round barrel and weighs in about 9 pounds. It is an excellent hunter and balances perfectly for field carry, but would never be good for shooting prone. The barrel just feels way too short to me except for offhand use and field carry.

Recoil on the 15 pound round barrel one isn't real harsh, pushes a lot more than it pounds you. I shoot a 720 grain bullet over 105 grains of 2F. I don't think that the recoil is much worse than my 12 pound .45-90 using a 520 grain bullet over 88 grains of 2f. It pushes a little harder, but the weight slows it down so it doesn't bruise or hit as hard. Overall, recoil is probably similar in effect to a hunting weight .300 win mag. Really hard to describe recoil, it is so subjective.

Best of Luck,
Dave
Buckskinner

Big 50

Post by Buckskinner »

Texas Shooter

I have just started shooting my new Sharps 50-90, here's what I have so far!

Shiloh no. 3, heavy oct., 32", shotgun butt. I haven't weighted it yet except on bathroom scales they indicate approx 11 lbs.

I have been shooting 450gr. PPB, 110gr. GOEX 2f. My initial test are very exciting. The 32" barrel for me is the perfect balance, the muzzle is very steady in the offhand position. I would compare the recoil to a 3" 12ga. shotgun, the info. posted by Lead Pot I believe is pretty good. I plan on shooting 650gr. in the future will post that and better accuracy reports as I get the information, weather is getting cold here and I want to be cozy when I do the bench stuff. :wink:

Hope this helps
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!