True or False

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

True or False

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All:

After reading the post and speaking to people about the 45-70 and the 45-110, would these make good complimentary cartridges to have?

I had thought about a 50-90, but the 45-110 has more applications

45-70
short to mid-range competition
small to medium game
.45 bullet moulds
magnum primers
ffg goex
.45 shell resizer
Similar weight distribution as 45-110
Same reloader as 45-70?
Same powder compression die?
Same wads?

45-110
mid to long range competition
Medium to large game
.45 bullets moulds
magnum primers
fg - ffg goex
.45 shell resizer
Similar weight distribution as 45-70
Same reloader as 45-110?
Same powder compression die?
Same wads?

Other than having to buy the different brass, can't some of the 45-70 reloading supplies cross over to the 45-110? With both calibers a very wide range of applications can be met.

I wanted to have something easy to shoot and have a real Buffalo Caliber, these seem to be a good match. I would rather spend the money on guns, than buying a lot of different reloading supplies.

Plus the 45-110 is also real cool looking. (Pretty dumb, huh?)

"Nothing succeeds like excess!" ;-)

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Texas Shooter,

Talk about starting a war :roll:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

:twisted: geez Kelly! thought you'da more to say than that!! where's that 45-90 spirit that we all love?!:twisted:

have a nice day :wink: your pal, LeRoy
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley:

At least it shouldn't be with Kenny, he gave me part of the idea. Is this a real subjective question?

On what fronts would the war be fought?

Anxiously waiting,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

that sounds pretty good and then next you can get a 50-70 and a 50-110

I make a lot of my stuff inter change
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Powderburner:

Is that what you did? I wasn't sure if it made sense or not, but I'm going to be ordering my rifle(s) in January and I'm trying to refine what I want/need.

The .45 caliber seems to be the best overall for target AND hunting. (I know another war statement)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Texas Shooter,

I am not fortunate to own a Shiloh at this time. However, your analysis is similar to mine.

I have been moving towards a 45-70 and 45-110 combo. Seems to give me the range of use I am interested in.

Hal
deerhuntsheatmeup

45-70 small to medium sized game...

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Dear Gussy, Did I see where you wrote the 45-70 is for small to medium sized game? The jackrabbits out where you live must be something to see! Either that or meat retainage is not an issue with you. Course here in Mississippi, we tend to use too little of a gun just to make the hunt challenging. We like wounded animals to chase us after we shoot them. I have been run down by a few squirrels after I put a 45-70 thru em'. Ah, the nature of the beast, at least I get the chance to cut them squirrel's throat while they still got some fight in em'. Now the fight will start Kelley, Later, David Barfield
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Texas Shooter,

I think you've got a great combo started there. Then after you have a .45/70 and a .45/110 all settled in, you can get a .45/90 and a .50/90 to start rounding it out. I am simply starting at the other end. I already have five .45/70s, so I have the .45/90 and the .50/90 on order. After those two get settled in I'll round it out with a .45/100 and a .45/110. After that, maybe a .38/55. And I sure wish Kirk offered .32/40. I really like that cartridge. But he would have to not only get a chamber reamer, he would also have to tool up to cut a .32 calibre barrel, so I'll just be happy with what he does offer.

So I think you are headed in the right direction. And I believe you are going to have a great time doing it. I know I am.
Lee Stone
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Lee:

I figure after the 45-70 and the 45-110 then I should get the 50-70, 50-90 and let's not forget the new 50-80 (aka. 2 in.)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Powderburner:

I misread your post. You said you already use the same equipment for mulitple cartridges.

Is there anything I missed in my comparison that can have a multiple use?

The New and Improved, more Friendlier, :-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Frank

Post by Frank »

Lee,
I also have 5 rifles in 45/70 but only one is a Shiloh, the others are in Remington, Browning, Springfield and Marlin. After all the 45/70 shooting my next choice was the 38/55, what a great caliber. The 38/55 is in a Browning Traditional Hunter that is a very nice rifle but I am in the process of working up a order for a Shiloh in 38/55. Then my next rifle will be in 45/110. I enjoy shooting them all but my first choice is the Shiloh 45/70 and the Browning 38/55. When I made the choice to go with the 38/55 before the 45/110 I based it on the fact the 45/70 and the 45/110 were close and the 38/55 was on the other end of the scale. Also I bought the Browning NIB for $600.
Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Texas Shooter,

I made that first statement because I wanted to see who and what answers you would get for your questions.

To me the 45/70 and the 45/90 are the most versatile calibre's made and the most competitive. Now some will say the 44's are the best,another can of worms.

1- Don't use Magnum primers
2- 45/70 and 45/90 would be best
A- Those two can be loaded with the same die's,example, the lyman neck sizing die can neck size both the 70 and 90, same way with a seating die and expander ball. Just allow for the 3 tenth's differents in length. The full length sizing die is different as the 90 is longer so the 70's won't work on the 90
B- The 70 and 90 use less powder and the 90 has just as good performance if not better then the 110.
3-The 70 and 90 can kill anything on the face of the earth if the animal is hit correctly and do it with less powder and recoil.
4-The 70 and 90 can be used for a bunch of different shooting competitions and be weight legal and sometimes the weight of the 110, to make the recoil less felt, the weight has to be heavier, not so with the 70 and 90.

If you can only buy one rifle start with the 70. The 70 has competited in long range very successfully, a World Long Range Champion uses a 70, a several time World Champion I might add. The 70 is the #1 rifle used for silhouette. A 40/65 is an under rated calibre for mid-range and silhouette. Last years prone mid-range champion used a 40/65.

I'm stating here that the 45/110 is over rated for long range competition. Look at the past top ten to twenty five national competitions and see what those guys are shooting. Make a decision on what the top shooters are using not what is poster here. :roll:

If that 110 of Redneck's is a 1 MOA shooter out to 500 yds. He should bring it to Kenny W's match and kick every ones butt, becuase I'd like to see that happen, if possable, and if he can win, I'll be the first one in line to shake his hand :D :shock:

Now I do shoot a 50/90 on occation just for fun :D

Kelley O. 8)

Decision's, Decision's, Decision's :wink: Were's the Coydog B., I need to see his two cent's, oop's he has no cent's :cry: :P :roll:
Kelley O.Roos
Coydog B.

Post by Coydog B. »

Kelley,

In case you didn't notice, this is my 100th post on this board without insulting or hurting anyone’s feelings, so don’t think for a minute that I can be drawn into this so easily!!!

:)

Chuck
"Your Mileage May Vary"
Coydog B.

Post by Coydog B. »

Ahhh, what the hell! This is post 101!

Here’s my opinion:

IF I was ever going to only have two BPCRs, one would be a 40-65, and the other a 45-100 (maybe a 45-90). IF, I was only able to own one BPCR, it would be a 45-90 set-up for Silhouette. The 45-110 wins the coolness factor just on sheer size, but I bet by using 1F, the MV is less than or equal a hot stoked 45-90, and probably slower than a normal loaded 45-100.

Also, before I forget:

Hepburns are without a doubt the ugliest “sporting rifle” ever conceived,

74s suffer from central hammer envy,

High Wall’s Rule!

That is all.

Merry X-Mass!

Chuck

PS: Almost forgot; The 3.5” 10 GA, is FAR superior on geese, than the 3.5” 12GA, even when taking into consideration the 12GA’s lighter weight.
"Your Mileage May Vary"