Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

I'm sure glad I'm keeping you guy's, ROUGHLY, intertained :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O.:

What other BP calibers do you like along with the 45-90 and the 45-70?
Is BP the only thing you shoot?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Texas Shooter,
It has been many years since I was around a 16" Naval Gun but a few things that stand out in my memory are:
The individual "grains" of powder were as large as my thumb.
The multiple 100lb bags of powder used to fire the projectile were wrapped in a special type of silk.
The projectile weighed over 2000lbs (about the same as a Volkswagon) and had bronze (brass?) bands that it rode down the bore on.
The guns were exceptionally accurate. Could knock out a single house in a line of them.
Shoot Staraight
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Texas Shooter,
It has been many years since I was around a 16" Naval Gun but a few things that stand out in my memory are:
The individual "grains" of powder were as large as my thumb.
The multiple 100lb bags of powder used to fire the projectile were wrapped in a special type of silk.
The projectile weighed over 2000lbs (about the same as a Volkswagon) and had bronze (brass?) bands that it rode down the bore on.
The guns were exceptionally accurate. Could knock out a single house in a line of them.
Shoot Straight
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Texas Shooter,

I shoot a 45/70 and sometimes a 40/65 and will rarely a 45/90 for silhouette, main calibre is 45/70 for silhouette. Mid-Range I shoot a 45/70 and 40/65 and never the 45/90. Long-Range a 45/90 exclusively.

For fun I shoot a 50/90 at buffalo match's. And also play with a 38/55, though never in competition.

I shoot High-Walls in competitions exclusively. I shoot a Borchardt 45/90 sometimes in Long-Range and Buffalo match's. I have shot a Hepburn (Sorry Coydog B.)..

And thats it, :wink:

Kelley O. 8)

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O.:

Are the Buffalo matches strictly for the larger shells? (50-90, 45-110. etc.)

They sound interesting. Do you have a link where one could read about them?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Kelley O. what kind of a trigger does your Borchardt have? - Mike
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Bearbait, interesting post on the naval guns.I bet they were bronze bands around the projectiles due to bronze's excellant wear capabilities.Bronze is also recomended for use in valve stem guides in engines for that very reason.Which I'm sure is a major consideration when the projectile weighs 2000 lbs.and not wanting to leave anything behind. P.S. Who was the unlucky soul who got blow tube duty? :lol: 8)
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Texas Shooter,

You can shoot any calibre you want, in a buffalo match, at Pala this month, 38/70, 40/65 and 45/70's were fired down range.

Michael Johnson,

I have a regular trigger in the Borchardt. It has been worked on and lets off at about 1 and 1/4 pounds or so. Borchardt trigger's aren't that big a deal to work on.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O.

It's nice to know you can get a trigger that light. When I first saw the Borchardt I thought they had a set trigger, come to find out it was a safety. I still think they are a beautiful rifle design. What caliber is yours?

How did you do in that match?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Texas Shooter,

The Borchardt is a 45/90. I shot a 100 out of 120 and I was 4th. or 5th. over all. Winner had a 108.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O.

Wow, that is very respectable. From shooting it, is there anything you don't like about it?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O.

How long have you been shooting BPCR's? Was this your first adventure in Black Powder?

What kind of practice routine do you use or did you use to get competitive?

thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Texas Shooter,

I've been shooting for awhile (8yrs.) Was going to be a smart ass :D ..I'm not sure how to tell you about me and shooting with out it sounding like I'm bragging, so I won't. :wink:

The only time I get to practice is going to matches and I do load testing at that time, alot, my scores suffer because of it. I sometimes get to test loads when I don't have much work, was going today to test and can't becuse it's raining here, so now I'm messing around at home and this computer. Shooting a competition is 80% mental then equipment and good ammo. I will shoot a silhouette match tomorrow, rain or not. Will be shooting loads left over from the Az. State championships, so don't have to load :D

I've noticed yoou ask alot of questions and were wondering if you shoot at all? And if so, any BPCR?

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley:

I've been shooting for about as long as I can remember. I currently shoot IDPA, IPSC events and a couple of steel shoots on a regular basis (Real Steel and Steel Challenge). I haven't competed in rifle or shotgun specifically unless you count 3 Gun competition, but most everything has been based on speed and accuracy only out to 200 yards. I have no Black Powder experience to speak of. (Hense all the questions)

I do enjoy hunting. Whitetail Deer, feral hog, prairie dog, duck, geese, dove quail, Sand Hill Crane.

I've recently (3 months ago) had my lower back operated on for the first of two operations, and I'm not sure how much comfortable mobility I will have when it's all said and done, that is why I'm trying to learn all I can about this form of shooting. The "Action Pistol" shooting is great fun, but it requires alot of bending and stooping, which has really subtracted from the fun of it.

Being I also collect historical documents, this type of shooting and the history that surrounds it is particularly interesting. I'm currently working on an early Texas document from Dec. 1834. It is written in spanish, signed by the then current leader of the republic of Texas, David Burnet. It also mentions William Travis several times in the text. (I haven't finished with the translation yet)

In Action Pistol, the types of drills we use for practice are probably not much help in this, that's why I asked specifically what people do here like yourself.

I've done reloading for shotgun but it is nothing as specific as this. The pistol and the rifle ammo I've used is usually the cheapest reliable stuff that one can find. More quantity over quality. The last two years I've gone through right at 25,000 rounds of 9mm alone.

I definitely don't want to leave the sport of shooting and the great people that are involved in it. For me that's one of the best parts.

There are many different nuances in this sport and not a lot of good reliable sources. I have been reading all I can find and asking many questions. I hope it doesn't drive people crazy, instead maybe I can bring up some points that other can also learn from.

It seems that this sport is still trying to recapture some of the "lost" knowledge of the late 19th century, through trial and error. That's pretty cool as that is also one of the exercises archeologist and anthropoligist go through when reassembling a past cultures knowledge.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Let me know.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"