Finish on High grade wood

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Crazy Horse

Finish on High grade wood

Post by Crazy Horse »

I plan on ordering extra fancy wood on my Shiloh when I order it. This puts the price up a little over what I want but I think it will be worth it. Now the problem I have is I see that they offer different grade finishes on the wood for an additional charge. Now, if I order the extra fancy wood with just a standard finish is it going to look good? I personaly think if I am spending over $2000 on a rifle it should already have a AA finish on the wood. I sometimes think I should just order a standard Hartford model and say the hell with all the extras. What do yall think? Larry
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Larry,

Kirk advises that if you are ordering an upgrade above standard wood that you're best betting at least AA finish. AAA would be better. So that is what I have done.

Also it is a very good idea to get the custom bedding for the forearm. That is a very welcome protection of the wood in the event of getting caught out in wet weather with your rifle. That is another feature that has become a standard on any order I make for a rifle from Shiloh.
Lee Stone
Badger

Post by Badger »

I doubt you will be happy with the standard finish on extra fancy wood. The standard finish leaves a lot of open pores. It's hard to find anything to criticize about on a Shiloh rifle but I do think the standard finish is short of what you should find on a rifle of this quality and cost. Just my opinion.
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

What is the difference between an AA vs AAA finish? Is it 2-coats of tung oil vs 20-coats, or something else. Thanks
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have about decided to abandon the thought of the up graded wood that I want. I The price just keeps inching more and more out of my reach. I have about decided to order a Hartford model with standard wood and add the patchbox in the stock. This will give me a gun that looks almost exactly like a Quigley. It just won't have the antique finish on the receiver (I like case hardened better anyway) or the gold initials on the side. I am ordering 45-110 with a 34" heavy barrel. I might still consider the forearm bedding if it is critical.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Crazy Horse,

The Quigley model is cool.

However if I may suggest a nice route to take???? Order a LR Express model with the PG Stock and say Semi Fancy wood with AA finish. The patch box is a PITA to do and it costs you some. Fancy fooforaw In my opinion.

I would get a wood Upgrade and the AA finish on the above rifle and you will have a 45-110 that will be a joy to shoot with the 34 inch #1 heavy barrel. Look dang nice and not break the bank.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

Crazy Horse
As you see, everyone has their own opinion. In the end you'll have to make your own choice. I understand. Just ordered my first Shiloh a week ago. Just look at the pictures and options list and go to a match(if possible) and ask to handle as many different models as you can. Make your final decision on what appeals to you. If what you really want costs just a little more than what you're willing to pay at this time, wait until you have the money for what you want. If you buy what you want, five years later you won't look at your rifle and say "wow, I paid too much for this". In fact , if you don't order what you really want the first time, five years later you'll look at your rifle and wish for the one you always wanted.
You probably won't be disappointed in any Shiloh that you do order however.
deerhuntsheatmeup

bought experience...

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Sir, As a Shiloh owner and shooter, I can speak from experience and if you order the xtra fancy wood, you would be very happy to get the AA finish, at minimum. As Kenny said, it will offer your rifle protection from moisture, and look good too. Also the bedding of the forearm is a good idea if you live in a moist climate. I got presentation grade wood with the AA finish on my #1 and last night I sat down while watching TV and was gently rubbing small amount of tung oil on the wood as I watched Midway. (Use an old t-shirt to wipe excess off before drying) Over time, my rifle will look like it had the AAA finish rubbed in at the factory. My 2 cents, David Barfield

Bucksnort, My understanding is that the AAA finish is another week in the finish room with at least one coat per day of tung oil applied with 1000 grit paper, and it fills in the pores 100%. AA fills in 50-70% of the pores in the walnut. FYI
EdwinH

Also bought experience...

Post by EdwinH »

Hello Deerhuntsheatmeup

David, I have just received a Sporter #1 with semi-fancy wood on it. This was a Shiloh stock item so there isn’t a “AA” or “AAA” finish on it. If I had placed a custom order I guarantee I would have requested at least a AA finish. A custom order would have taken me 10 to 12 months for delivery.

What kind of Tung Oil do you use? By Internet search I have found available Tung Oil, Pure Tung Oil, and Polymerized Tung Oil.

I called Shiloh the other day and they told me they use Formbys “Low Gloss” Tung Oil. Formbys I understand has varnish mixed with it and the instruction on the can recommend the use of a good quality pair of rubber gloves when applying the product. Shiloh also indicated that they do the wood before installation with the metal parts. They also recommend the use of 0000 steel wool to rub on between the applications. My only concern here is what effect will the application of Formbys have on the metal parts and the use of steel wool, if I don’t take the rifle apart?

Happy New Year, Ed.
Shiloh is the Ultimate!
Sporter #1
NRA
NMLRA
ATA
deerhuntsheatmeup

wipe off excess before frying

As I said, I wipe off excess before drying and have no problems. I also said that I used the tung oil sparingly. This means I dip the end of one finger in a small bowl off tung oil and rub it in being careful. If I get a little tung oil on my metal, it is not a big deal, because I wipe off excess before it dries. As for the steel wool, DON'T use steel wool without taking the wood off your gun, unless you want to rid your gun of case colors prematurely. Good Luck, David Barfield
deerhuntsheatmeup

Formby's or Minwax

Also, I forgot to add, I use minwax Tung Oil Finish, for what it is worth. The Shiloh factory uses Formby's. Barfield
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

The way I look at it if you're ordering a rifle to be built, you're getting one of the best made rifles available anywhere and it would be wise to protect that investment. Custom bedding the forearm (basically an epoxy coating on the interior) protects the wood against warping if / when it gets wet. Same goes for the exterior to protect it. I ordered a #1with extra fancy (didn't start out with Extra fancy .. but my order was gradually updated every couple of weeks as I considered options). Started out with a base rifle .. ended up with Extra Fancy, AAA finish (Shiloh will do a great job and get it done right before final rifle assembly), custom bed forearm. Now I'll have a rifle that won't get damaged by a sporadic rain squall here in South Florida during the June - November rainy season. As the saying goes, my opinion only. Good Shootin.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

How much extra does the custom bedding on the forearm cost? I don't remember seeing that option listed.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

The custom bedding is $45.00.
Lee Stone
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Crazy Horse:

When looking at the price of your new Shiloh, try to remember not to compare apples to oranges. You can buy Sharps rifles for $600, and you can spend $6000.(All the bells and whistles, engraving etc.)

If you want basic utility(Something thats shoots safely) that's one price. If you want a gun that is a fine piece of the Gun Makers art, that is another price.

Investigate the differences in materials, craftsmanship, accuracy and detail between the two. The Shiloh is a good value.

If the differences are not clear or appreciated, (And there's nothing wrong with that), then save your money. There are several Gunmakers in the world that do REAL quality work. Premium Berettas, Merkels, as well as others. Shiloh is a good honest, "Bang for the Buck". Pun intended. ;-)

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"