Quigley tang sight?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Crazy Horse

Quigley tang sight?

Post by Crazy Horse »

Shiloh lists the Quigley rear tang sight as a Mid range verner (sp?) sight. I did not see it listed on the Sights pages. Is it just offered on the Quigley gun or can you buy it seperate?
Maj Bob Lee

Post by Maj Bob Lee »

I could be wrong but I believe that is the sight on page two of the sights section listed as MVA #108 Midrange Tang sight. I'm sure it's a fine sight as are all MVA sights but if it was me I would put in another $100 or so and get a Soule tang sight with some good windage adjustments, I have the MVA Long Range Buffalo soule sight on my #1 Sporter and am not at all sorry I did it. If you are going to shoot in matches it is the best way to go. Of course there are other makers out there that produce good soule type sights also. I just don't have any experience with them.

Maj Bob Lee
NRA
NMLRA
SASS
"A miltia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms..To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.." Richard Henry Lee 1788
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Crazy Horse,
The tang sight used in the "Quigley" movie was claimed to be a "#6 Hartford Transition Long range with Windage", made by The Riflesmith, Axtell Rifle Co., though it looks to me in the movie to be a #5 Midrange.
Either way it was made by Tom Axtell. The MVA #8 is about the same.
Both companies make a quality tang sight.
Thanks,
CHris
dhm

Post by dhm »

Crazy Horse,
You can find Montana Vintage Arms (MVA) at www.montanavintagearms.com. I just ordered the #108 mid-range Sharps Vernier from them, $316.00 + shipping.
DHM
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

One thing about a mid-range vernier rear sight--you are limiting yourself & the rifle as to what yardage you can shoot.

W/ a long range sight, you can always shoot mid-range, but you can't shoot long range w/ a mid-range sight! Someday you may have the opportunity to shoot 800, 900, 1000 yds plus. Nothing worse than to run out of staff when you need more for the work @ hand.

I would really give serious consideration to a long range sight.
Big Gun

Quigley tang sight

Post by Big Gun »

Crazy Horse: The good folks at Riflesmith told me several years ago that their No. 5 Hartford Transition midrange was the one used by Tom Selleck in his Quigley movie. I put that on my No. 1 for match work. Didn't seem necessary to have all the extra steel on my 40-70 SS 'cuz it isn't really a long range shooting caliber. Also, the No. 5 is period correct. In a hunting situation, any sight longer/wider than the No. 5 gets to be a handling burden. In fact, it's dangerous to have it folded down and attempt to use the buckhorn sights for close-in work; therefore, I'm going to order the MVA Model 130 for hunting use.
BIG50

Post by BIG50 »

I e-mailed the Riflesmith about that exact same sight. It was a Hartford prototype and there are only two known to exhist. They also said it might get you out to 800 yrds depending on caliber, barrel lenght etc... but would go with the long range to be safe for those distances.

Hope this helps!

BIG50