Rear sight selection?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dead River Den

Rear sight selection?

Post by Dead River Den »

I just ordered a Shiloh Hartford Model and ordered it with the semi-buckhorn rear sight. Anyone have expierience with this rear sight on this rifle. My primary use's will be for Hunting, and target shooting out to probably 600 yds, Also any advice on a tang sight for the above uses- I was thinking of the sporting tang. (I ordered the blade front sight)Tahnks, Dead River Den :?:
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Dead River Den,
The sights you have coming on your rifle will be fine for hunting, but will probably be disappointing for fine target work. I believe you will need a good soule type tang sight and spirit level front to be competitive. If you have a recent copy of the Black Powder Cartridge News or Single Shot Exchange most of the current sight makers have ads with contact information. These ads will give you something to drool over. Sharing what type of target shooting you plan on doing will help everybody in the forum give you more concrete suggestions, ie. busting rocks or serious mid-range target rifle matches.
LJ
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Dead River Den,

I have both the semi-buckhorn and hunter tang sights from Shiloh. Like you, my hunting rifle has the blade front sight. I usually use the tang sight for working up loads as I can get a better sight picture with a peep sight but the peep sight is slower to use for hunting. You usually need to lift up the sight off of the tang to sight in when your carrying the rifle in the field. If your on a stand though, then you can leave the sight in the up position. It's then fast to use then open sights and you can get a better sight picture then the open semi-buckhirn sight. I guess it's just personal preference.

As for target and long range shooting, you may want a better tang sight that can be more finely adjusted for different ranges. The hunter tang sight has rough markings on the side of the sight that can be used to reset the sight for known ranges for hunting accuracy but the adjustments are not fine enough for target shooting. You loosen the eye piece on the tang by turning it and slide the eye piece up or down, then re-tighten. Centainly no where as precise as a target tang sight with screw adjustments.

From my point of view, the open semi-buckhorn sight, if you have good eyes, is good enough for hunting of big game out to 200 yards. If you have the time to raise the tang sight, it's better then the open sight. If you try shots past 200 yards, then I would think the tang sight is better.

Rich
Dead River Den

Post by Dead River Den »

LJBass,
Mostly it will be informal target shooting, with some steel silhoutte shooting, but the main reason will be hunting uses and secondary some of the Cowboy Action Side Matches, Thanks for the info, Dead River Den