H&R Trapdoor

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

H&R Trapdoor

Post by SSShooter »

Need a trapdoor for our local all off-hand 200m silhouette match (50/100/150/200m). Am thinking the H&R carbine TD might be a good rifle using the original 405gr bullet/55gr BP carbine load. Anyone shooting one of these H&R TDs? If so, what do you think? Decent rifle?
Glenn
JamesRichey

Re: H&R Trapdoor

Post by JamesRichey »

Can't help, but a good question. I have an original rifle which shoots very well, but have sometimes thought of one of the H&R carbines for hunting. Are they accurate and well made? Are they as good as, better, or inferior to the Uberti effort?
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

Don't know anything about the Uberti effort but the 4 H&R's I have had over the years were all good shooters. Never tried BP in them tho but, with Acc5744 and Saeco's 405 grain bullet, I won quite a few long range SASS matches with a carbine.
I now have an Officer's Model and am quite happy with it....

Cat
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Gun Broker has 2 listings for H&R's. They are nice looking rifles. I need to read up on trapdoors before I buy another. The one I got is missing a lot of markings. It does look like it may shoot well. May try it out latter this week. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Steve P>S> I am looking for a 405 gr. RFN HB mould if anyone has a lead, P>M> me please
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

From what I've seen/read the H&R TD comes in two flavors. The standard, plain-jane model with just a few markings and the fancy 'officers' model with fancier wood, full markings and a metal forearm cap. Am guessing that underneath all that prettiness of the officer's model they are the same. The one word of caution I've read is that there is a roll-pin used in the cam on the H&R breechblock that can shear after repeated opening/closing. Simple fix might be to change out annually and carry a few spares and the correct punch. Long-term answer could be a hardened, solid pin that is peened in place or something similar.
Glenn
JamesRichey

Post by JamesRichey »

It's just amazing what some companies will do to save a few pennies. Hard to imagine a good, hardened pin costing them more than a buck or two. Why do they do this? :cry:
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

OK...... need more info if you would be so kind.
Checked out the officer's model H&R carbine yesterday. Excellent condition in the original box & packing and includes a 405gr mould for $800.
Also checked out an original 1873 rifle in what appears to be excellent condition (especially the bore) for $850.
Will be checking out an 1884 rifle later in the week for $595. All rifles are local to me, so that is nice.
I'm leaning towards the 1884 if it checks out to be as good as the 1873 for a couple of reasons. There is, of course, the lower price. The primary reason I want a TD is to shoot at our 200m all offhand silhouette match. I'm thinking the 32" barrel and extra couple of pounds in the rifle will provide both a longer/better sight picture and less felt recoil (I'm a recoil wuss), even with the 405gr bullet and 55gr of 2F Goex I would be shooting.
Plus, I'm thinking I may want to shoot it at the occasional long-range match and the rifle would be better than the carbine at the longer distances with a 490-500gr bullet and 60-65gr of powder.
Couple of questions:
- does anyone know what the H&R carbine barrel normally slugs to?
- same question on an 1873 or 1884 rifle....... what does a barrel normally slug to?
Also, what are the flaws in my thinking? Thanks.
Glenn
Woody

Post by Woody »

Can't speak for the H&R's or any of the repro's. The originals can vary wildly but generally are around .460 ish.

You will do better with sights on the originals too. The Buffington's that is.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
JamesRichey

Post by JamesRichey »

What Duane said.

SSS, since you first posted this, I did some googling and found that the H&R's generally have a good reputation as shooters, but the problem Duane pointed out is fairly common. It is supposed to be a fairly easy fix however, and there are several ways to do it.

As to what choice, that is up to you of course, but I have an original rifle made in '83 and it is a very good shooter. I also am rather recoil sensitive and think you might be happier with the full length rifle for target shooting, especially at longer ranges. However, you could probably get by very nicely with the carbine load in the OM for the 200 yd. shooting.

The originals, as was said, vary widely in bore diameter, the way the Arsenal addressed this was to use a hollow base bullet, and Lee makes a mold which duplicates the design.

If you buy and original, before you do any shooting with it I strongly recommend you get the Spence Wolf book on the subject. Will save you a lot of headaches.

Personally, in looking about the net, I've seen lots of pics of the OM and am very taken with it, so much so that I'm strongly considering buying one. Looks to me like it would be the cats pajamas for a hunting gun.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Prices seem to be down on the H&R. A couple of the officer's model just sold for under $700 and a standard cavalry model sold for over $800, for some reason. Am checking out the local 1884 rifle on Wed and will likely go with it if as good as is 'advertised'. If not, will go with the H&R.
Glenn
omgb

Post by omgb »

I have an Officers model and it opens on firing. I’d love to know what the best fix is. Anyone know of a smith who does this?
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

omgb, The same question was just asked on the ASSRA forum, might have been you? So as not to repeat just go there and read the fix proposed it works perfectly and costs little. Hope this helps.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

I have found my Original 1884 TD shoots very well. Have won matches with it out to 500yds.
It has about a perfect bore, and has a relatively tight bore and grooves.
Probably my favorite BP rifle to shoot off hand.
OF Course, as my eyesight has aged "80 yrs old". I find more difficulty in effectively sighting thru that
peep on the Buffington as I used to be able to do well.

Re. Other choices. I have had both the H&R AND a Pedersoli Officers Model carbine.
the Pedersoli, with single set trigger and that nice tang sight is Hands Down a better rifle and without the pin shear issue of the H&R if you want a carbine.
More Money, though.
beltfed/arnie
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

omgb wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:08 am I have an Officers model and it opens on firing. I’d love to know what the best fix is. Anyone know of a smith who does this?
Look for a gunsmith in the Black Powder Cartridge News.
I used these for the same problem. 970-635-2409.
Excellent job. Schuetzen Gun Company.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???