Three Questions for the price of One!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Three Questions for the price of One!

Post by Jerry Williams »

:?: I am thinking too much today, But I would appreciate some coaching on three questions today. First, What is the Ballistic Coeficent of Steve Brook's .458,545 grain (30/1) Creedmore bullet (top two driving bands are slightly undersized to seat futher out or into rifling)? :?: , Second, What do you recommend as the finished hieght of a permanent (hell-for-stout) range shooting bench?. and Third, What chonograph would you recommend to the average BP shooter (make, & model) for helping with load development? :?: , Thats all folks! Thanks for your help!!!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

re shooting bench:

You can only answer that yourself thru trail & error.

I think what you need to do is get a table & the stool/chair that you usually or would use to sit on. Place the rifle rest(s) & a rifle in the rest(s) & raise the table by placing blocks under the legs until you reach a height that is comfortable for you.

I’ve seen shooters sit differently @ benches: some sit very upright; others place the stool away from the bench & lean into the bench.

If the bench doesn't fit you, it may not work well.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I very much like my Oehler 35P chronograph. Being a born again klutz, I got a chronograph with separate sky screens so I would not be shooting at any of the electronics. Sky screens are much cheaper to replace. And I like the combination LED read out and the paper print out. Gives me something to easily see right then plus a printed strip to put in my log.

What ever brand you decide on, I highly recommend one with separate sky screens for the exact reason I mentioned. I would guess that it would be very disappointing to send a bullet through the electronics of a good chronograph.
Lee Stone
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Jerry,
If you type in "Ballistic Coefficent" in the Google search engine, you will have many calculators to choose from. Just make some measurements on you bullet and plug them into the spaces provided and out pops a BC.

I like my Oehler 35P for two reasons: 1.) the three screen setup checks itself and indicates if the reading is not reliable. 2.) Saturday it was 26 degrees and the readout will not work below freezing, so I put the "brains" on the dashboard so I can read it through the windshield. Works good anytime of year.

Good luck on your calculations.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT