Seating depth

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Outrider

Seating depth

Post by Outrider »

I did a search to see if this question had been asked before and couldn't find where it had, so here goes. When you are assembling the first loads for a new rifle what do you guys start at for a seating depth? Should your first load be just touching the lands? As you change seating depth in subsequent loadings how much do you change it? Thanks for any help. :roll:
Remember....We get the government that we deserve.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Outrider, bullet seating depends a lot on the design of the bullet. I have some bullets that I can seat into the lands, and some I can't. It also depends on the individual rifle being loaded for. Some will allow a much longer OAL of the loaded round than others. My ideal is to have the bullet loaded so that the lands engrave the bullet well into the first driving band. You should get a number of oppinions on this one. You will just have to experiment and see what works best for your rifle and load. :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Outrider, put bullet only in chamber, measure from base of bullet to back of barrel with calipers. Now as you will see, with a little simple math you will know the max. length that you can go with this particular bullet. Hope this helps, if not give me a call. Thanks Kirk
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

That's the way I do it, I do it 10 times, take an average, then back off .005 to .010 from the average. Works good. It's real easy just to drop the slug itself into the barrel and measure it with calipers. I get a better reading if I lay the slug in the chamber and slowly raise the butt up to let the slug slide into the barrel.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter