Dies for 45-110

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

USMarineShilohShooter

Dies for 45-110

Post by USMarineShilohShooter »

I have a dilemma on which dies to go with for the 45-110. RCBS dies have been recommended but cost @ $220 from Buffallo Arms. However, I have seen a 3 die set from Lyman on Midways website for @ $40. Is there anything wrong with Lymans dies for this caliber and are RCBS dies that much better to spend $180 more? Help requested...
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

US Marine Shooter,

The RCBS dies are pricey! I have them myself when I bought mine 10 years ago they were $120 and not cheap then.

Bottom line is the Lymans will work perhaps a bit of polish with some JB's and a Patch on the Sizing die if it is rough.

My hopes are in the near Future to use the Shiloh Specs and have Lee make up a bunch of 45-110 dies. I have alot of Lee Dies in various calibers and they have better inside finish then most of my other high dollar dies do. They tell me that the dies would be in the $70 to $80 range.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
rdnck

45-110 dies

Post by rdnck »

USMarineShilohShooter--I'm like you in that $220 is way too much for dies, so I gambled forty bucks on the dies from Lyman. They work just fine, and I bought a second set for a back up. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Bonanza Driver

Post by Bonanza Driver »

USMarineShilohShooter:

I faced the same problem when gearing up to reload for my 45-110. After talking with the folks at Redding, I ended up buying a set of their dies from Buffalo Arms. At $110, they were priced halfway between the RCBS and the Lyman dies. So far, they have worked great. I particularly like the Redding FL sizer die and unlike some others, I have not had any problems with the seating die deforming the nose on my bullets.

Whatever you do, don't forget to buy the powder compression plug - you'll definitely need it when using Goex Fg with the 45-110! Buffalo Arms sells it for $17 and lists it as "45 Cal. Rifle Compression Plug f/Lyman/RCBS Dies". It fits the Redding dies just fine.

All the Best,
Steve
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Has anyone had experiance with CH-4 dies? they are a bit pricey too at @$138. I was just wondering how they stack up
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
sackett

Post by sackett »

The first set of dies I bought for my 45-110 were CH-4D. I bought these before the Lyman. They have been fine to use. I did however, go out and buy a set of Lyman dies when they first came out. I did this because I liked their "M" die, as well as wanting a second seating die. This way I could load 2 different bullets without adjusting the seating die. I don't have any problems with either of them. I got the Redding Comp seating die for Christmas which elminated the need for 2 seating dies. So right now in my T-7, I have a Lyman neck sizing die, CH-4D FL die, Lyman "M" die, BA Compression Die, Redding Comp Seating Die, and a Lyman crimp die.

To make a long story short, you wouldn't have any regrets in buying the Lyman die set or even the CH-4D set. I do personally believe though, RCBS is just over priced....

Sackett
USMarineShilohShooter

Post by USMarineShilohShooter »

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info to get started with!
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I am going to get the Lyman 45-110 dies. Heck I can get 100 brass, Lyman die and compression die for what the RCBS dies cost! I probably have 40 different dies and most (95%) are RCBS but I just can't make myself pay that much more for them.
RMulhern

Dies

Post by RMulhern »

USMarineShiloShooter

Ain't nothing wrong with the Lyman dies! You'd think the RCBS dies were made outa GOLD!! :evil: :shock: :evil:
N2

Post by N2 »

My first choice would be the $40 Lyman dies suitably modifed with a proper $17 expander button from Buffalo Arms. A nice addition would be the Buffalo Arms/Redding competition seating die at $100, but then you have $147 in dies. If I were going to spend $220 on RCBS dies I'd consider going one step further and buy the best by sending three fired cases to Neil Jones for one of his bushing NS sizing dies for $100 and his micrometer adjustable straight line seater, also $100. If you need an expander die to bell the case mouth a blank die body from Buffalo Arms is only $10 and the expander is still only $17. You end up with a custom neck sizing die that will allow you to vary neck tension by changing bushings and a micrometer adjustable seating die that seats bullets with minimal runout. - Nick