More 63

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Drain Rock

More 63

Post by Drain Rock »

Kirk

1) I bought a previously owned Shiloh 1863 that appears to be unfired. I’ve been looking at the Italian version, which utilizes a floating chamber sleeve to assist in gas checking.
The Shiloh I have doesn’t have one, is it suppose to?

2) At a local gunshow, last row of tables next to the last table was an old guy (20 years older then I am, which approaches the age of dirt) who was selling his collection. I got a very good deal on an original Sharps New Model 1863, first year of production. Still original percussion, mechanically in very good condition, although the finished had been “cleaned up” in the distant past. Very good bore, sharp rifling. Even the nipple was in great shape. But, the gas check ring is missing. Will the gas check ring you make for the Shiloh fit an original? The chamber appears to have a sleeve in it, or is that the adjustable bouching Frank Sellers discusses on page 40 (second paragraph) of his book?

Levi, great name. Reminds be of the rancher, Levi Richardson, a real gentlemen, and the summer job I had in Crawford Nebraska. My dad got me the job with his old high school buddy, repairing fences, cutting and bailing hay, chasing critters. Said it would build character, it may have. I’ve never been afraid of hard work.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning Sir, The Shiloh does not have a floating sleeve. The original you have may have a floater in it, the original company tried this only to find failure. Our gas plate should work fine, it will have to be cylindrical ground to fit though. Thanks Kirk
Drain Rock

Post by Drain Rock »

Kirk,

Thanks for the reply. I figured Shiloh did not use a floating sleeve, but had to check.
Is fitting the gas plate a dedicated gunsmith job or can a good amateur smith/machinist do it. If so, will you sell me one?
You have mention a couple of times, your son’s learning to seat the paper cartridge. Is the object to compress the power in the paper tube or actually seat the bullet. When I drop a tapered slug in the breach, it stops at the bore and it takes a lot of pressure to advance it deeper; considerable more force than can be transmitted through a paper cartridge.
Thanks
Harold
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

In fitting the gas plate, it needs to be ground to fit breech block then ground to fit the gun properly. It is very hard but if you have the equipment it will work. Thanks Kirk