Sharps military long arms with bayonet?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Naphtali

Sharps military long arms with bayonet?

Post by Naphtali »

While I cannot conceive of a Sharps carbine using a bayonet, Sharps infantry rifles, not including rifles used for long range sniping, are a different bag of cats. During the Civil War infantry rifle were intended to use bayonets. Yet I have never viewed a photograph of a Sharps infantry rifle having a bayonet fixture on barrel.

Were any Civil War Sharps infantry rifles outfitted for a bayonet? If they were, please identify the bayonet used and the identity of the units so outfitted.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
boge

Re: Sharps military long arms with bayonet?

Post by boge »

Perhaps you want the individual soldiers' names as well? :roll:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

The Berdan Contract rifles were issued with BAyonets and the Navy models were also fitted for bayonet. The Berdan were Socket bayonets and I believe the Navy were fitted with a lug. The Sharps Bayonet in a scarce item as many were "LOST" or made into items to move hot pots on the firepit around. The Berdans were Skirmishers and also Pennsylvania Bucktails. The Bucktail aquired Sharps were aquired when the Bucktails broke into a warehouse in Washington and aquired the rifles. I own a documented Bucktail rifle. The bayonets generally go for around $1000.00 each when u can find them. Any more questions PM me.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

boge wrote:Perhaps you want the individual soldiers' names as well? :roll:
20,000 comedians out of work, and you're being funny? :lol:
Chris:

Many thanks for your thorough, clear reply. I recently acquired a Shiloh 1863 infantry rifle. It has no provision for a bayonet. This got me thinking about the [original] rifles' purpose during the Civil War. It makes good sense to me that neither carbines nor Berdan rifles would have no provision for a bayonet. But line infantry? How would they respond to "Fix Bayonets?" That this infantry would participate in a bayonet charge or close quarters defense without bayonets I found difficult to believe.

My understanding of the purpose and function of Berdan's regiments is obviously inadequate. A sniper needing or using a bayonet I would not have anticipated. I'm creating my own anachronism - twentieth-century military thinking applied to 1860s.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

The socket bayonets fit over the front sight and rotated on the barrel with a band to lock them on. I believe Roy Marcots book on the Berdans has pictures. This type was a triangular style while the navy rifles took a blade bayonets
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

BACO sells a book Civil War Sharps Carbines and Rifles that shows pictures of rifles with the socket bayonets attached.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

BACO sells a book Civil War Sharps Carbines and Rifles that shows pictures of rifles with the socket bayonets attached.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Also the Navy Rifle had a longer barrel. The Navy rifles had a bvayonet lug under the barrel to fix a bayonet on to. The Berdan Sharpshooters were a very very effective unit in the war. Also some of the Volunteer Veterans Reserve Corps were issued Sharps Rifles one rifle I owned was from Charles F. Tew of the 25th Mass. I owned the rifle,bayonet, books, bayonet scabbard and frog. I eventually found a relative of Charles F. Tew who was looking for info on his ancestor and they were reunited to Tews family.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

In Frank Seller's book on Sharps there are several pictures of Sharps military rifles that have bayonet lugs on the underside of their barrel.

George
Salmon, Idaho
boge

Post by boge »

If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

I just got finished working on an original Sharps civil war rifle that had a brass handle bayoneted and a slot that slid into a lug on the side of the barrel... I wish I still had it, I would post a picture

Tom Klinger
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

That was a blade bayonet would it not?
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

ChrisF,

Yes it was...and it had a bit of a curve to it.

Tom klinger
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

That is correct the socket bayonet slid over the muzzle over the front sight with a locking band to keep it on the barrel. Shaped similar to the Springfield bayonet
ToddC

Post by ToddC »

My dad has a sight mounted bayonet at his house. I need to get it. Wouldn't it be cool if it fit.