Delrin Bore Wipers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TAA

Re: Delrin Bore Wipers

Post by TAA »

Mike,

Thanks. I hope to do the “test” later this week.

Tom
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

I used both the 45 and 40 Cal wipers I got from Eric. I ran slightly wet patch then a dry patch during a run of 50 shots without cleaning, as I usually do between animals. 50 with both the 45 and the 40 caliber. When I finished I ran two wet patches and two dry patches to completely clean the barrel. ZERO lead and I usually get at least a few flakes. I'm done cleaning between relays. I ordered some more of the wipers from Eric.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

can you make 38cal? I'd like to try a set for my 38-55.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I can give the .38 cal a try. Will be some trial and error to find the sweet spot as far as diameter is concerned and may have to lengthen them a bit - 2-1/2” diameter patch will fold over farther and you don’t want it getting stuck between the larger portion of the wiper body and the bore - you’ll need a 10lb sledge to pound it through. Ask me how I know. Haha!

I made some .44 cal bore wipers for Nuclearcricket - he generously let me borrow a 4” section of .44 cal barrel he had and that helped me size them. I don’t have a .38 cal bore so it would be trial and error plus a little math subtraction from the smallest one I currently make which is the .40 cal. It’s not completely linear, i.e., just subtracting the dimension - the smaller the bore for a given patch size the more allowance you need for the volume of patch, otherwise it turns out too tight and then you need a persuader to pound it through.

However, a smaller patch diameter with just plain subtraction of the difference might work - just have play around and try it.

Could bore a .38 bore size hole through a piece of stock to test and fit but that won’t account for the groove diameter.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Basically you want to hit a sweet spot - too tight and it takes too much effort to push through and the incremental gain in cleaning ability is negligible - too loose and it’s like a hot dog down a hallway with not enough cleaning.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

well what I could do is make a jag that is proper size for my barrel, then send that off to you for a correct dia? I can also send a few patches that I use for you to size them correctly.

or I may be able to find a .378 barrel laying around and chop a chunk off.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yeah, having a small length of barrel section would be ideal