Thumbler's tumbler tricks

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Thumbler's tumbler tricks

Post by TexasMac »

If some of you are running into a problem with the lid leaking or drive belts wearing out the following may be helpful.

Purchase a spare lid. Align the bolt holes and use a good bit of super glue to glue the lids together. I made the modification several years ago & it's worked well for me. Absolutely no leaking since then.

If your original drive belt has broken or tends to disintegrate & wear out quickly purchase the following from Amazon: 342 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 3-5/8" ID, 4" OD, 3/16" Width (Pack of 5). Works great & shows no signs of disintegrating after many months & tumbling thousands of rounds. The bag of 5 rings should last many years.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Lumpy Grits

Re: Thumbler's tumbler tricks

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thick AN washers, and tighten the thumb screws in a criss-cross pattern will really help.
Make sure the lid seal is kinda wet.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm Thick AN washers, and tighten the thumb screws in a criss-cross pattern will really help.
Make sure the lid seal is kinda wet.
Gary
Gary,
What you suggested was tried & I still had leaks once in a while. Doubling the lid reliably stopped the leaks.
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

In 23 years of using a thumblers I have never had the lid leak. Use the washers.

Any of you boys ever learned how to change a tire?

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Kenny you can always be counted on for your motivational, uplifting and positive comments!!! By the way when can I come hang out at your ranch and play with your $5000 rifles you collect :lol:

Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Same here Kenny, bought it in '08 and haven't had a leak ever. Place lid on cannister, use the washers, bring all wing-nuts to touch and then tighten in a cross pattern. When you are done and it's time to put it away if you put the lid on normally it will be most difficult to remove later. Instead place three of the washer on the cannister under the lid and all will be well. You can thank me later. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought a good quality Lortone over a decade ago. It wasn't cheap, but it's never leaked, and still uses the original belt. A 12 lb. drum, and I love it. Best investment in tumbling brass I ever made.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Yup Chris,

Lol that Jack ass on the BP silhouette forum, must be tight with Glen Ring….. :P

Most the engineers I knew were great guys, smart too, many of them didn’t have a thimble full of common sense. And they couldn’t change a flat tire if their lives depended on it. Seen me some city boys change a gal at school flat tire, just like the afore mentioned lid not set square, had to pull it of and do it right. Talk about wheel wobble. Love them solutions to a problem that doesn’t have to exist, only because of operator error, to begin with.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:22 pm Yup Chris,

Lol that Jack ass on the BP silhouette forum, must be tight with Glen Ring….. :P

Most the engineers I knew were great guys, smart too, many of them didn’t have a thimble full of common sense. And they couldn’t change a flat tire if their lives depended on it. Seen me some city boys change a gal at school flat tire, just like the afore mentioned lid not set square, had to pull it of and do it right. Talk about wheel wobble. Love them solutions to a problem that doesn’t have to exist, only because of operator error, to begin with.

Kenny Wasserburger
Kenny up by my cabin I came across a lady stopped on the road. She was on her way to Alaska ( this road doesn't get you anywhere near there ). She had blown a tire and spent the night on the road waiting for someone to come along :D. I would expect that anyone traveling remote back roads would have a little know how. That road has a lot of stories. Another time this guy spent the night out on the road because his dog had bumped the transfer case into neutral and he couldn't figure out why his truck wouldn't go. I won't go into the carload of Chinese tourists we rescued at around midnight in the cold of winter...

My Thumbler hasn't leaked yet, but I tighten those bolts like I would on an oil pan or transmission pan. Hopefully it stays good :-).

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, "oil pan, transmission pan" or the head of a drum. I played drums for 30 some years and when I took the tumbler out of the box I didn't even have to think about how to tighten the lid.

Paul
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

You played drums for 30 years?! Wow that is interesting Paul! What kind of band?
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Cody, started out pretty typical in a High School rock and roll band. After that it was Weddings and Bar Mitzvas for a while. The best of it was when we got a steady weekend gig for eight years doing a dining and dancing thing. Then just before the move west it was a country bar band. Funny thing is when I got to the prairies I wound up in a nice jazz trio, who knew jazz on the prairies. Then I got my hearing aids. :roll: :roll:

Paul
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

International man of mystery! You are always full of surprises!
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I have had a Thumbler's tumbler for, I would guess, about 40 years or so. I have the AR-6 model, fat but short all rubber drum. I have tumbled gobs and bunches of pistol cases in it as well as a goodly number of rifle cases. My feelings are that the shallow drum is very good for the short pistol brass but not so great for the longer rifle brass. It does work but I think a deeper drum would be better. To the best of my memory I have not replaced anything with this tumbler and I am honestly surprised that I haven't.
Its to the point now that I do feel its time for a replacement. The drum its self is becoming hard. That makes it hard to be able to put the lid in as well as get a finger under it to take it off. And replacement drums as far as I can find out are just not available anywhere.
Maybe if I ask really nice the Easter bunny will bring me one. All in all I do think that the Thumbler's tumblers are hard to beat. I do hope that over the years the components that they use have been kept to the same standards that they have always had.
Sam
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

No problems with leakage in 20 years of so of using my Thumler tumbler... And didn't even have to think about how to tighten the lid...

Claence