Barrel twist

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SBR4590

Barrel twist

Post by SBR4590 »

I have a Borchardt with a 1-20 twist barrel. No issues, rifle shoots well. I bought a Ron Smith gain twist barrel 25 years ago that finishes 1-18. Thinking of installing it to the Borchardt. Question is, how much more accurate will the 1-18 be as opposed to my 1-20? Is it worth doing for whatever, if any, accuracy gain I may see?
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
semtav

Re: Barrel twist

Post by semtav »

45 caliber?
How far you shooting ?
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

never take something apart that's working art
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

Sorry, 45/530 Postell. 1000 yds.
I have a Springfield trapdoor with a 1-22 twist and it seems to do well, as well as I can see the iron sights, at 1000. No tipping.
Thanks. Frank.
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

The Borchardt in question is in 45-90. Most of my target 45's are 1-18. Some even suggest 1-16?
Not that experienced to make an informed decision.
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

I own two Shiloh sharps.LR experss. One 45-90, one 45-110. Both are 1-18 twist. Shot both at Kenny's ranch years ago and hit stuff.
I was younger then.
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

the 20 barrels shoot just a tick shorter bullet than the 18's do. there probably wont be any increase in accuracy unless the barrel is made to tighter tolerances but, even then it will be questionable if its "better". You should see better accuracy in heavy/weird winds as the bullet should be more stable in said winds. If it were me I'd just leave well enough alone and build a rifle around the gain twist barrel.

But if you like to tinker......go for it!!

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

Matt,
Thanks for the reply, I'm installing a scope on this rifle, can't see through irons any longer. This is a built-up rifle so I'm not destroying originality. I'm sending it out to BRC for an overhaul. I'm sure this barrel will do more than I'm capable of at this point in my life.
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

Matt,
Thanks for the reply, I'm installing a scope on this rifle, can't see through irons any longer. This is a built-up rifle so I'm not destroying originality. I'm sending it out to BRC for an overhaul. I'm sure this barrel will do more than I'm capable of at this point in my life.
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Depending on the quality of the existing barrel, you might see an accuracy gain. Maybe not related to the twist change though. Ron Smith barrels are very good. I have a few of them and they are top notch.

Chris.
Longrange

Post by Longrange »

Hi Frank , I would find a good quality round nose bullet length of 1.3ooinches that would come out at 500grains+ and go at it. Vic from down under
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

Vic,
Thanks.
Frank.
NYC.
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

Chris,
Will do.
Thanks.
Frank.
NYC.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

The twist of the barrel will not affect accuracy unless the length of the bullet is significantly outside the gyroscopic stability range for that twist.
Cannot say if there will be an accuracy effect without knowing the final portion of the gain twist, as well as the length and caliber of your bullet plus the velocity you will be shooting it at.

Keep in mind dynamic stability for long range shooting is dependent on the bullet's nose shape and the center of gravity of the bullet which affects yaw and can increase wind sensitivity and accuracy.

The RKS (Ron Smith) barrel's accuracy mainly comes from a continuous choke along the entire taper.
These cut rifled barrels of 40 cuts per groove are meticulously machined with a CONTINUOUS tapered choke of 0.0004" from the breech to the muzzle.
This prevents gas cutting around of the side of the bullet as it progresses down the barrel - and that is how better accuracy is achieved.
SBR4590

Post by SBR4590 »

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I'm now more confused as to which way to go than before, LOL. Starting in 1992, I've shot my Shiloh's in competition at Quantico, and the Forbes range in Colonie, NY. Once I started shooting a Borchardt I had specially made with an 1-18, I was hooked on the user friendly Borchardt action. Still send a few rounds down the Shiloh's though. Reason for the current project is, I don't want to scope my other Borchardt since I had it built to Creedmoor specs.
Will update when decision made.
Thanks. Frank. NYC