Gear shifter cartridge seater

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Gear shifter cartridge seater

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

The fellow that had come up with this style of cartridge seating tool was going to make a model that would clear a scope.

Any further news on that model?

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: Gear shifter cartridge seater

Post by JonnyV »

I just sent him a text… We’ll see what he says. It wouldn’t be hard to do.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yes, I have cartridge seaters for 1874 Sharps and 1885 Highwalls that have a handle canted at 30 degrees to clear a scope. Have the non-scoped versions as well. The Sharps scoped version has the handle canted to the left - needs to clear the hammer on the right. Some guys may not like the left canted handle- personally I don’t care much for anything left leaning. Haha!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I’ll post some pics in a bit.
Luke

Post by Luke »

How would I get one?
Limber Up!
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

I would be interested also.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

I'm interested too.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Here are my two...what you can't see here is that the seater face is offset to one side so that you can cam a little or a lot, depending on your needs. Also, it works on needle bearings and the moving parts are made out of naval brass so it won't scarf up the rear of your mortice block the way a hardened, non-moving, steel pin will. All in all, super well thought out design that works exceptionally. I'm pretty sure that Mike Nesbitt did a write up on this in BPCN a few issues back too. Doesn't cost a lot either.

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

patchbox wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:10 pm Yes, I have cartridge seaters for 1874 Sharps and 1885 Highwalls that have a handle canted at 30 degrees to clear a scope. Have the non-scoped versions as well. The Sharps scoped version has the handle canted to the left - needs to clear the hammer on the right. Some guys may not like the left canted handle- personally I don’t care much for anything left leaning. Haha!
Very odd my Rhoades tool is to the right and have absolutely no problems with the hammer, haven’t on any of my scoped rifles. :shock:

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

The aluminum one doesn’t have the ball handle on top, that might be why. The other thing is that this one is reversible. I can use the straight handled one from either side.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Here's some photos to correct my earlier post. This tool doesn't use needle bearings, it uses a shaft with two rollers...

Here is Eric's tool disassembled...

This seater doesn't use a hardened one piece pin, it uses two rollers mounted on an offset shaft...

The reason for the offset becomes apparent here when you need to cam a little bit more...

Or here, when you need to cam a little bit less...

Taken all together, the tool operates very smoothly, and because it's made out of naval brass, there's no chance of it wearing on the inside of your mortice block. I suspect that one of these would only need a canted handle to accommodate scoped rifle use. Then Kenny could use it from whatever side he wanted and all would be right with the world.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

True that you could possibly use it from right or left - since the center of the bearing pin hole is offset it'll make a little bit of difference on the initial length of distance you could cam in - one way there is more clearance than the other. If I put the hole directly on center it wouldn't matter which side it was on and thus could be flopped right or left. However, it would affect the length or distance that could be cammed if the hole remains offset - it all depends on how far the head of your cartridge is protruding before camming. If only about 3/16" of an inch then the offset hole could be drilled on center instead.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Here are pics of the current design:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Red background is Sharps - brown background is Highwall
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Sorry, my mistake - other way around - red background is Highwall, brown background is Sharps.