Hello from Pennsylvania!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Griff

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!

Post by Griff »

stoudtlr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:11 pm This much money I think it's better to wait and get exactly what I want.
You are absolutely correct. Make a wise selection.

If you aren't familiar with Bill Goodman's services, you might want to investigate that option.

http://www.shiloh-ballard.com/shiloh_sh ... _sale.htm

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Luke

Post by Luke »

Yep, calling Bill is a good way to go.
Limber Up!
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I'll bet that Kirk would cut that barrel to 30" if you asked.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

art ruggiero wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:02 am where about in n j is quinton located is there a web site? art
Quinton Sportsman
https://quintonsportsmensclub.com/
Glenn
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

As a point of interest. I have a #1 sporter, pg and cheekpiece, 30" heavy barrel, 45-70 with iron sights it goess 11.77 pounds. I think another 4" of barrel might put it over the limit. Yes it shoots very well and no its not up for sale.
Sam
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

Nuclearcricket wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:21 am As a point of interest. I have a #1 sporter, pg and cheekpiece, 30" heavy barrel, 45-70 with iron sights it goess 11.77 pounds. I think another 4" of barrel might put it over the limit. Yes it shoots very well and no its not up for sale.
Sam
You sure? :D
You just perfectly described what I'm thinking about with the exception of a pewter tip. Think it would still make the 12 2 weight with that addition? And what wood did you get if you don't mind? I'm leaning towards semi fancy, but I'm sure higher quality wood adds weight.
Luke Stoudt
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

And now as luck would have it I'm debating if I should put this purchase off for a bit. Wife and I went out for dinner with friends last night and I was invited on a Nebraska mule deer hunt next November.

Might need to purchase a new rifle for that trip. My Marlin .35rem and Ruger Blackhawk 45lc I use for PA whitetails definitely aren't up to the task for potential 3-400yd shots at mule deer. My 7mm-08 is accurate enough for those distances without a doubt, but even handloads with 150gr bullets might be borderline for power at that range on large mule deer. I have no doubt it's enough for shots withing 200 yards. Thoughts from those in the Midwest or who have been on mule deer hunts before?
Luke Stoudt
mikedominick

Post by mikedominick »

A 7mm-08 will be fine on mule deer at 3-400, you're not under gunned at all.
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

mikedominick wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:45 pm A 7mm-08 will be fine on mule deer at 3-400, you're not under gunned at all.
Thanks for the quick reply Mike! Used my Google-fu, like I should have done before asking, and it seems that you're right. Perfectly fine for mule deer out to 400. Even found a YouTube video of someone taking one with a 470yd shot.

I'm used to hearing of people taking their big magnums for Midwest hunts, but I guess it's no different than some of the locals around here thinking they need a .300 win mag for whitetails when they're lucky if they're even shooting 200 yards. Some people just like overkill.
Luke Stoudt
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I think the Roughriders are a little lighter due to the lack of a cheek piece. My 30" Heavy octagonal bbl .45-70 Rough Rider with a plain schnabel, extra fancy wood, steel butt plate came in at exactly 11 lbs before sights. I was surprised at how light it was when it arrived. At least the weight is in the barrel where it needs to be. I'd have to do the math, but it might make weight with a 32" heavy.

Chris.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I think, but am not positive, but when I ordered my rifle I ordered wood that was one step up from standard. its not overly fancy, strong straight grain but with some tiger stripes for lack of a better description. I didn't want the very fancy wood, just something nice. I just looked and it still has 3 stickers on it from being weighed, 11.8, 11.7 and 11.7.
I would think that when you order your rifle, and specify that it must make weight, the nice folks at the factory will tell you what will and will not make weight.
Sam
Luke

Post by Luke »

Another nice Roughrider on the website.
Limber Up!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Yes, 3 nice roughriders all with 32" barrels if you click on the pics of each they give the build details including the weight. 1st one makes weight and 2 as well as 3 won't after sights are added. But then not everyone cares to shoot silhouette either. Back on Dec 9 they had 34" now 32 I'll bet 30 " barrel run is next and as someone previously mentioned they go fast. Bobw
bobw
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Consider a 45-90. You can do anything with that caliber comfortably and use grease groove or paper patch your preference. Hunt, silhouette, long range target, just plain fun. It is an historic caliber for both the buffalo rifles and the long range target rifles. You can always download a 45-90 but you can only get so much powder in a 45-70. Besides, everybody has a 45-70. I have 5 BPCR calibers including a 45-70 and if I had to do it all over again I would buy a 45-90. A lot of the top 1000 yard shooters are loading around about 80+ grains. More flexibility with loads and bullets with a 45-90.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

SFogler wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:49 pm Consider a 45-90. You can do anything with that caliber comfortably and use grease groove or paper patch your preference. Hunt, silhouette, long range target, just plain fun. It is an historic caliber for both the buffalo rifles and the long range target rifles. You can always download a 45-90 but you can only get so much powder in a 45-70. Besides, everybody has a 45-70. I have 5 BPCR calibers including a 45-70 and if I had to do it all over again I would buy a 45-90. A lot of the top 1000 yard shooters are loading around about 80+ grains. More flexibility with loads and bullets with a 45-90.
I can use up to 84 grains in my 45-70. My chicken load is 55 grains. That’s probably as flexible as it gets.