Spotting scope power

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Spotting scope power

Post by JonnyV »

So I ain’t trying to start any arguments or anything, but I am interested in what it is the optimum spotting scope power for long range shooting. And by long range I mean starting from 1000 yards out to maybe even including shooting at Kenny’s mile match someday…

All opinions, welcome, and thank you for your help!
Woody

Re: Spotting scope power

Post by Woody »

20X is more than enough. The glass clarity is the most important aspect here.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

My current set up is 20 power. I’ve been using a pair of 20 power Steiner binoculars for a few years now, and I can pretty easily see the flight of the bullet through the air and where it impacts on the dirt, or sometimes the target LOL!. So far though I’ve only been operating at a ranges out to about eight or 900 yards. I’m concerned about the ability of this set up to work in ranges of 1000 yards and well beyond.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I've settled on a Nikon. I went to the local sporting goods store (Sportsman's Warehouse) and took every spotting scope (of high-quality), put it on a scope stand and looked through it outside their front door. I may have to do this again, as the scopes today are better than they were fifteen years ago, but you get the idea. Clarity is everything.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

I don't agree. Why? When there is mirage (most sunny days), even the best glass is worthless at 300 and beyond. So for te longer ranges you'll be best served with a camera system to be able to spot your shots. And it won't cost you more than top quality glass, probably less...
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Martini:
I recently bought a target camera, and it does appear that it will be very useful to use at my local range for longer distance load development. Seeing bullet holes in targets is pretty iffy beyond 300 yards even when there is no mirage.

However, I haven't been to a match yet that would let you set up a target camera out by the target!

Yes, mirage certainly can interfere with ability to see details at a far-away target. But, it can be critical to have a scope (or binoculars) with good enough glass to let you see a change in mirage. Miss seeing that change, and you very well may have a miss at the target! Mirage can be your friend!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I don't know if Kowa have kept up their quality, it's been 15+ years since we bought ours from Shiloh ($895.00). I do know that when I go to a Silhouette match they seem to still be in the majority. We have the older 82 mm. model, since then they and most brands have come out with ED glass which is a definite improvement. Ours came with the then current 27X, later on I had the chance to trade that for their 20-60X Variable and did that. That was a mistake. I therefore bought the newer 27X-LER (long eye relief). I am happy to have both and Spot likes it too but from my experience from about 40X on out to 60X things get pretty fuzzy. When we shoot at a 1000 yards and I take a look at the scope when we come off the line most of the time she has it set about 30X. One thing to consider if you plan to shoot Silhouette or Long Range matches most require the use of Safety Glasses for the Spotter and that is where the long eye relief really makes a difference.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Ive got 20-80x, I likw the 80 at long range specially on gongs as I can see impacts on steel as well as I have a closer look at targets just incase the target puller makes a mistake. Its also nice to see 22lr holes at 200+yards.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If you are shooting at a match where you have targets that are scored you can easily see the discs at 1000 yards with 20x and read mirage. If you are shooting steel at distance, or if you are shooting paper with no scoring/spotting discs then more is merrier. Glass quality is super important and good glass with lower power can often be an improvement over higher power crappy glass.

Chris.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

It kind of depends on how you are using the scope. If you are shooting and then looking at your target a good large diameter 20X will do a good job under most conditions. The larger the front lens the better. If you are going to be spotting for someone large diameter binoculars can be of benefit. I have used a pair of 20x80 binoculars in the past and felt that they were much better than a scope. There is also a company selling a pair of 25x100 binoculars that are center focus and have roll down eye cups for those that wear glasses. The only down side I have seen to the binoculars is they are on the heavy side and need a good solid stand to put them on, and they do let a lot of light in, on a bright day sun glasses would be in order.
There is a company in Ohio that sells the large binoculars, https://oberwerk.com/, they may be worth taking a look at.
Sam
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Holy Cow! I thought we were nuts at $895.00 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They only want $5695.00 for a pair of those 127x Binoculars and $2495.00 for the 100X. Myself I think binoculars are over-rated, DeadEye.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've got a Kowa with the 25X LER eyepiece and it works well for silhouette and midrange. At 1000 you need to see mirage and the scoring disc on the target. You'll never see bullet holes with any scope. SSShooter and I use a pair of 20X binoculars for silhouette and they work well. Using both eyes to spot prevents eye fatigue. I use my left eye for spotting if I have a single scope and shoot with my right eye. I spent several years in my 20's as a surveyor for the highway dept on construction work and after looking thru a transit all day getting both eyes to work together to drive home was an issue due to eye fatigue. Something to think about.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:08 am Holy Cow! I thought we were nuts at $895.00 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They only want $5695.00 for a pair of those 127x Binoculars and $2495.00 for the 100X. Myself I think binoculars are over-rated, DeadEye.
I see they offer financing on those 127x binoculars. I have to admit that I'd like to take a look through a pair of 'em just to see what I'm missing out on.

Chris.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I think binoculars are over-rated, DeadEye.
I got it. LOL

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

John & I have been using the Pentax 20x60 binos for 7yr this season. They do a good job picking up mirage & hits for BPCR. Do wish they offered them with ED glass, but pretty decent & rugged for <$250 and less tiring on ones eyes.
Brightness in optics is defined by the size of the objective lens. A 60mm bino is about 10% brighter than an 80mm scope with equivalent glass.
Also, for reading mirage it is best to have more, rather than less depth of field. As power goes up depth of field goes down. For reading mirage going above about 30x can be detrimental to seeing mirage well.
As always, no absolutes and YMMV.
If someone gets a pair of the 100mm binos I would be happy to compre them to the Pentax 60mm for you. :D
Glenn