Shooting low at 100 with buckorn and post

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ccongos@me.com

Shooting low at 100 with buckorn and post

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Bretheren,

I went out to the farm yesterday and had a GRAND time getting more acquainted with my 1874 Lewis and Clark commemorative. I'd like to get some experienced opinions on this matter.

Right now, I'm trying to become proficient with my barrel buckhorn and front globe post sight. The front sight is literally a thin post that looks like an "i", surrounded by the steel globe. No inserts.

I'm hitting consistently 3 inches low at 100 yards. My 45-70 load is:
- annealed Starline
- 70 gr of Goex FFF
- 405 gr Hunter Supply flat point, flat base
- Lube is 50% beeswax, %50 lamb talo

My chrono is telling me my velocities are around 1300.

There is evidence on the tang that the prior owner did us a vernier type sight. What I'm wondering is, since the front sight is not the stock blade, could it not be regulated to the installed buckhorn rear? If the front post is too high for the buckhorn, then it makes sense that it would shoot low.

Or, am I pushing the bullet too fast, thereby it being in the barrel for a shorter time and hitting low?

I'm ready to get technical on this rifle.

PS, I plan on purchasing a soul sight when I get the funds together. Then I'll graduate to a heavier 500+ gr bullet.
-Chad
martinibelgian

Re: Shooting low at 100 with buckorn and post

Post by martinibelgian »

Chad,

I wouldn't modify anything just yet - just shoot for group, changing the bullet to the 500gr (or +) will move the POI. Even changing powder granulation will already do so. And there's no hard and fast rule, depends on a lot of factors. I have lightweight rifle in 500/450 no.2 that shoots extremely high with 300gr .458 bullets, but the Lyman 4571255 shoots to the sights when 'drawing a fine bead'.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Don't change the sight until you are
At your final load. Hold that pinhead a little higher in the notch. A vernier would eliminate your problem if you can't adjust your self to adjusting your hold
You asked, the problem is not the gun or the sights it's your mindset ,adjust your hold to get what you want...mb
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Your velocity is fine.
Until you hit on your final load, just adjust the hold. Not much else you can do with the pin front in the globe front.
You can call Shiloh and order a front blade.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
ccongos@me.com

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Don McDowell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:10 am Your velocity is fine.
Until you hit on your final load, just adjust the hold. Not much else you can do with the pin front in the globe front.
You can call Shiloh and order a front blade.
Yeah, but I plan on getting a Lee Shaver in the future, and I believe the "i" front site will be better for that than the blade.

I'll work on "holding" until then.
-Chad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You'll probably be happier with an MVA, Hoke or Baldwin.
Have fun and enjoy.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?