Load development

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DeadEye

Re: Load development

Post by DeadEye »

Or as in my case, I had a load, a good load but not great. I was using Federal 215's (it was the early days) and then I read about GM150M's. I gave them a try without changing anything else and the good load became a great load. Then I ran out of that case of powder and had to start over but stayed with the pistol primer. All loads since have started and stayed with the GM150M so I agree with Brian. As Brian said the availability or worse still the cost of components are forcing choices to be made. Of late I have used O/E for the Long Range matches in the 45-90 and Swiss in the 45-70 and 40-65 for Silhouette matches. I have loaded up all my Swiss and only have 7 pounds of O/E left which will be gone shortly as I load for the upcoming matches. Seven pounds at 81 gr. per round isn't going to get me through the summer. I have this case of Goex which I say has been sitting here since 2004. It was a case of bulk powder and at the time cost me $19.00/lb. The Goex 3F was the same and came in at about the same price. That's in Canada at Canadian dollars. Last fall I bought all the O/E our supplier had left at
$33.00 /lb. If there was/is any Swiss available here I am told it is $50.00/lb. Suddenly that case of Goex looks just fine to me. I have a few thousand GM150M left so the effort will be made to develop a load with what I have.

Thanks Clarence, that's the kind of info I was looking for.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

DeadEye wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:42 am Right Don, it would be a PITA. I thought of duplexing to be sure I had the exact amounts of both powders per round. The thought of not having a precise mix would keep me awake nights. What you say about a double bump getting the column started is exactly the theory that I have read behind the use of pistol primers and why I have been using them for many years. I have a few pounds of O/E left and might make it through the season but if not I will be involved with the title of the thread. You be well

Paul
Paul if you per chance are coming to Alliance in My let me know I know a guys who’s brother-in-law exwives 3rd cousin could probably spot you some OE 1.5 to shoot the match 😉
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Deadeye,

You'll be fine on powder, as I was assured by Craig back in January/February? that in fact they called him to let him know that he would be receiving all his allotments of all of his F's in March as planned from his last order. Learned a bunch in that conversation. According to the DOD, we'll be in good hands for a long time, the DOD is seeing to that.

If not you'll still be fine as I've got 12 or 14 cases of powder, I'll spare a "few" for you at an insanely inflated price, of course.

I've got whatever F you need, you know where the loading shed is
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

And that's what friends are for, thank you Don, thank you Brian.

Don I have four feet of snow outside my back door, I hope it's gone by May. What weekend is the shoot, it's been a while but I'm sure we could still find our way to Alliance. We have to be on The Big Hill June 3rd and that just may work.

If I have to deal with Hickey I'll have to go back to work to cover what he'll charge.

Paul
semtav

Post by semtav »

Kenny
We may have to change that alloy testing party in October to an alloy, primer and black.powder testing party and move it down to deuces back door come January.

Be interesting to get stopped on the way by an HP with a trunk full of black powder, a back seat full of guns and the passenger seat full of primers.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Paul were down to about a foot of pack ice in most places the south slopes are starting to clear off but there are drifts that will probably be here till we’ll into May
But I believe the Alliance match is mothersday weekend
Safe travels
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

A bit blustery here right at the moment, Hwy 7 closed from Ekalaka to Wibaux, since 2pm today, & from the sound of it, probably not reopen until Sunday, late afternoon
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Same here, snow, blow until tomorrow night. Ugh! Throw another log on the fire, winters not done yet.

Paul
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

DeadEye wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:34 pm
We have to be on The Big Hill June 3rd and that just may work.

Paul
Speaking of being able to travel to shoots. One can only hope on both ends that we can make it to Big Hill June 3rd, if not I predict some young lady will have an actual melt down, uff dah :roll: Should you & Spot not be able to make it, may jeopardize someone's health :shock:
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Brian you tell the young lady not to worry. This is an Ag town and there are four implement dealers. I know where there are many skid-steers, one across the street. The town has a good size tractor with a front mounted snow blower and I pay my taxes on time. Back in '19 I needed a little help getting on the road to get to the shoot in Vale, OR for the third week of April. We got it done. I am just so tired of this winter and getting real antsy. Having said that it's snowing and blowing outside and the prediction if for another 4-6 inches. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Dead Eye, as you probably already know...........southern Arizona typically has an average of 340 days of bright sunshine and, by most standards, relatively warm temperatures. And, it is a dry heat you know?

Forecast for tomorrow's silhouette match at Tucson Rifle Club is 81F as a high, winds 2 mph at start shooting time. For sure look for Mirage but 2mph? Not so much the wind flag. :D

Wish you were here. And, you could be if you only wanted to. :roll:

Granted, it is a long way from the glacial experiences in Canada but we do have a bunch of Canadian expats here already. The smart ones. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

You are correct DD and yes I/we chose not to be there. You may remember the winters we spent in Phoenix at Ben Avery. You may also remember the year I called the 1000 yard match for Steve, the one you are working so hard to keep going. To be safe we have to be out of here by late October and returning before April is foolhardy. Witness the storm raging now. November 1 to April 1 is 150 days. The government of the United States allows us non-immigrant aliens 182 days in country. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you've already arrived at 32 days left. 32 days to shoot from May to September. We have shot as many as 13 multi-day matches in that period not including travel time.
In Phoenix we had two matches, November and March along with the lever gun and .22 shoot, that's four. Being a pragmatic fellow it comes down to bang(s) for the buck, simple as that. I don't know what those 'smart fellas' do in the summer but I'll be shooting and having fun south of the border while their days are used up and shoots up here are precious and few. Let's leave it there shall we and if you sense that I have taken exception to your inference that I am not smart you would be correct again. Good luck with your shoot.

Paul
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Hear you Paul, the core of the problem is you and Spot are missed. :(
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

I must have 10000 GM155M magnum pistol primers from my GG days. Maybe I'll take Deadeyes advice and try to work up a load for my 45-70. I've yet to find a satisfactory load for it yet.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I have a “good enough” load for my 45-70 already worked up at 200 yards. Now just waiting for a good day at Forsyth to see if it’s “good enough” at 1,000.