Bullet casting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ray Newman

Re: Bullet casting

Post by Ray Newman »

Addendum to the above:

Just checked my ladle and the spout was drilled out to 13/64".
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I filed a very thin groove down the side of the ladle spout. Let's the air out of the mould better.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I have heard of, not used, the thin line filed on the spout of the ladle. Holding ladle in right hand where to locate the thin line?
I have seen, not used, a groove on the top of the sprue plate from the pour orifice to the edge. Holding mould in left hand where best to file groove?
Have not seen either in use.

Boring out the spout on the ladle is standard operating procedure though.
Filing the spout to meet the contour on the sprue plate a couple of times on a new ladle.
Sometimes opening up the orifice on the sprue plate was rarely done.

I clean up and smooth sprue plate faces with 600 grit wet dry sand paper on a perfectly flat surface, glass, using a circular motion.

On looking back over this thread I need to ask is there a best or preferred way to reset the locating pins after facing off the blocks ?

Have (carefully) spun a cast bullet from the blocks coated with fine abrasive in those same closed blocks. Worked like a charm.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Have ladle poured for years out of 2 different RCBS Pro melt pots that have bottom pour valves. Having the melt at the right temp and mold at right temp are far more important to good bullets. On your first 10 casts when the puddle on the sprue plate solidify cut the sprue off then swing the plate back in position and count to 15 or so. Then swing the plate open and open blocks dropping the bullet on a padded surface. No magic juju here that extra count of fifteen is to heat the mold up faster to proper mold temp. If it helps great if it don?t what are you out? Bobw
bobw
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I'm right handed (hold mould handle in the left). Grove on the left side.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Purchased a temp gun starting casting bullet looks better but looks like imperfections in parts and a frost glazing on parts any ideas?? Thanks
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

IMG_6704 Medium.jpeg
. Temp in 800s. Brand new mold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Cold it be air getting in mold? Should I drill out spout make a little bigger hole?? Thanks
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Hi what temp is it that you are casting the lead at? What type of casting are you doing ladle or bottom pour?
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Bottom pour. I’m down in 750.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

It’s like I get a lot of impurities around lube grooves. I have went high on temp same thing. I’m stumped lol
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Well in my 25 plus years of pouring i have never had any luck with the bottom pour pots always ended up like you to much crap in my bullets plug the hole off and use a ladle to cast from the top of the pot and your problem will be solved IMO :D :D :D
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

IMG_6706 Medium.jpeg
here is one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Like i said above they are not filling out right IMO it is due to the bottom pour i don't use or like them at all
they made me :evil: :evil: :evil: :D :D
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

If you hand pour does the lard dipper hold enough can’t tell by pics. Looking at the RCBS ? Or are there a specific one to get?