Range of loads for a 45-70 creedmoor target rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

AweShucksShiloh

Range of loads for a 45-70 creedmoor target rifle

Post by AweShucksShiloh »

Howdy all, for the sake of ammo availability I recently got hold of a Creedmoor target rifle in 45-70. Now Shiloh says that these rifles are rated for normal factory loads. However I’ve discovered there’s quite a varying range of pressures that are produced.

I’m wondering if anyone has or knows where I can find a chart that lists the maximum recommended pressures.

Or if anyone just happens to know what the cut off is. For example I accidentally bought a box of Remingtons that are pushing a 300gr bullet at 1900 fps. Which to me seems high. However Buffalo bore has loads that push a 405gr bullet at 2,000 fps. And one 435gr at 1550

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I tried to use the search function but i couldn’t find anything.

Thank you for any and all help
bobw

Re: Range of loads for a 45-70 creedmoor target rifle

Post by bobw »

Try using it with 500gr lead bullets using Black powder.
bobw
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

In a conversation with Kirk, he told me the Shiloh’s are on par with a Ruger #1
AweShucksShiloh

bobw wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:34 pm Try using it with 500gr lead bullets using Black powder.
From Buffalo Arms? They’re the only ones I could imagine might have those? My main goal in buying this rifle (aside from the unmatched beauty and elegance of them) was so that I could actually find ammo for it instead of having to reload, as I’m just not set up for it yet. I have a 45-110 that I absolutely adore but it is very very very difficult to find ammo for.
Last edited by AweShucksShiloh on Fri May 26, 2023 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AweShucksShiloh

Castaway wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:51 am In a conversation with Kirk, he told me the Shiloh’s are on par with a Ruger #1
Well I suppose that would really simplify it lol. I don’t think I’ll put those Buffalo Bore magnum rounds through it but if it’s on par with a #1 then really anything that sitting on a shelf should be safe?
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

A happy medium is to go with ammo rated for the 1885 Marlins it's the mid-rate in the reloading manuals. They are plenty hot as far as recoil goes. The Ruger loads will rattle your teeth and the fun meter goes down quick.

The Remington loads are mild, and I believe are rated for the trap doors.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Buffalo Arms does sell BP ammo in 45-70. Probably the only source you'll find for loaded BP ammo. Plus it comes in Starline brass so you can be saving that up for when you are ready to start loading your own.

My buddy Johnny B started out this way. Only downside is that the BACO ammo left a lot to be desired, accuracy wise.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

AwShucks,

If you're interested in seeing the potential of your Shiloh, there is simply no alternative to reloading (and probably casting) your own ammo.

If you just want it to go bang, you will probably get acceptable acc Tracy out of the lower-powered factory ammo like the 300 gr. Remington stuff, but I can tell you that some of the heavy load options you mentioned will recoil much more than a 400-500 gr. black powder load. The 400 gr. black powder ammo will likely produce very good accuracy out to 200 yds.

Clarence