New to me Shiloh Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

doug_bailey

Re: New to me Shiloh Sharps

Post by doug_bailey »

One more thing today - primer pockets.

I bought the Lyman hand tool - deburrs the case mouth inside and out. The new cases needed some attention. The tool also has a primer pocket reemer attachment. I tried it on one of the fired cases from today and it seems to remove a lot of material (brass, not burned looking crap from the pocket hole). I tried priming the cleaned out case and the primer went in very easily - almost no pressure needed. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't want to reem out a bunch of cases and then find that the primers are falling out, or not sealing consistently or something like that.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

You don’t want those pockets reamed out that much. You might have got an out of spec tool. It should be removing material from primarily the bottom of the pocket, not the sides. I’d not do any more cases with it.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yeah, you definitely don’t want to remove any material from the ID of the primer pocket. I don’t touch mine with a pocket reamer - very few times I’ve used it to remove a little crud in the bottom of the primer pocket face and even then it’s with the barest amount of pressure - just to scrape off the crud. I haven’t had to do that lately as I put my cases in an ultrasonic cleaner before tumbling with ceramic. The ultrasonic cleaner busts all that carbon loose so not an issue. Plus the ceramic tumbling media does a fairly good job by itself- the only thing I might make uniform in a primer pocket is the flash hole. Anything else, I’d leave it alone.