Drop tube vs vibration

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Drop tube vs vibration

Post by semtav »

Does any one use the vibration method instead of drop tube with any success? I seem to remember Steve Rhoades ( I believe) claiming there was no difference.
ccongos@me.com

Re: Drop tube vs vibration

Post by ccongos@me.com »

I've never used the drop method, so I can't compare. But I use vibration, and I'm able to get the settling I need for proper OAL.
-Chad
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thanks.

What got me to thinking about it, I was loading a bunch of cases to fireform so I was cutting all the tedious corners I could.

Going straight from the rcbs powder measure to the case, my powder level was right to the top. A quick series of raps on the table with my finger over the end and it settled as far down (or more) than the drop tubing normally does.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I closed my eyes and began to visualize SEMTAV with a vibrator, suddenly my eyes flashed open and I abandoned the thought immediately! :shock:

After regaining my composure, I recommend a 30" drop tube with a mechanical slow trickling mechanism if you want powder column consistency.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I drop my powder into a .17 caliber funnel mounted atop my 24" drop tube. That produces a more consistent slow drop than I could do with a larger funnel. Very consistent stacking height. !.5 Swiss will occasionally bridge slightly-a flick of the finger on the funnel gets the powder dropping again, and I see no difference in the stacking height. 2F Swiss seldom bridges.

Clarence
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am I closed my eyes and began to visualize SEMTAV with a vibrator,
2 cups of coffee works just as good for me.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Decaf?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Cooking up a pot right now to see if it makes a difference.

I'm naturally shaky anyways.
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

I use a paper shaker to vibrate the powder down before compressing and it works well for me. I have started to drop tube charges for my pp loads in the 40-65. 70 grains of Swiss 1.5 fills the case. If I vibrate them I can just have enough space to seat a .060 ldpe wad on top.

Cheers,
Steve
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

A paper shaker? Never heard of a paper shaker?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I have been mulling SEMTAV's question for a while, AND, went out to the man cave and charged a few 40 cal 2.1 cases and a few 45 2.4 cases using both Swiss 1.5 & 2F. Column height in both cases using both granulations was less if manually trickled through a 14" drop tube rather than dumped which of course would change compression depth. Then the same weight charges were sent through a mechanical trickler with 30" drop tube and powder column both cases and both granulations were less than hand trickled.

I watched a very experienced Master Class BPTR Long Range National Champion load his match ammo in a tent. He used an electric motor modified as a vibrator to settle his drop tubed powder charges in 2.4" cases. The little device did some serious vibrating.

Thinking that regardless of where I shot Long Range Matches that I drove to those ranges. Sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days and the loaded ammunition was subjected to the normal jostling present in my vehicles traveling over normal highways which, logically, would induce vibration over time to the loaded ammunition, AND, I carried the ammunition usually in 100 round wooden ammo boxes which would not dampen the effects of the vibration. Which raised the question of whether or not that vibration in transit further settled the powder column in the loaded round?

The idea of shipping loaded ammunition would likely induce more powder column effects should settling by vibration be a mitigating factor. Another thought in mind is compression probably would mitigate any settling tendencies.

Well, based on perhaps over thinking the situation, I switched to the MTM 100 round ammo boxes with inserted foam padding in the lid to keep the rounds from rattling when placed nose down. Does that make a difference on the target? I don't know, however, it is one of those pesky details in the cobwebs located in the back of ones mind that has to be dealt with before I lay down to commence record fire.

Remembering, successful match shooting is 96% mental and 4% mechanics.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

With vibration you have differences in consistencies depending on differeneces in time you vibrate.
The drop tube is always the same distance of drop and you end up with the same densities between loads.

I tried vibrating case loads in a holder I made attached to my cleaning vibrator.
Ended up sticking with the drop tube since it was less labour intensive and did not result in inconsistent densities between loads and tedious having to specific time the vibrating operation.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I believe Rick Moritz vibrates. His results speak loudly. Rick?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
R Moritz

Post by R Moritz »

Hello Woody,

I hope that you and Lois are doing well. Yes, I do use a vibrating drop tube. The late Skip Epp made vibrating drop tubes from a Vibra-Tek powder trickler ( I think that is the company's name). He supplied them with lathe-turned aluminum funnels for 45, 40, and 38 cartridges. There is a place to set the cartridge case with an aluminum funnel on top, and the powder charge is dumped into a small reservoir, which feeds the powder to the case. The cartridge case and powder feeder are both vibrating while this is occurring. The vibration is what feeds the powder. Skip completed some testing and determined the vibrating drop tube was equivalent to a four ft. drop tube with a slow trickle. He labeled the little devices "4 ft drop tube." I find the powder charge height to be highly uniform and dense.

It not only works well but also saves me reloading time. While the vibrating drop tube fills one case, I am throwing or weighing the next charge and placing the over-powder wad in the last charged case. The drop tube takes about 20 to 30 seconds to complete a case, depending on the size of the charge. My 45-90 takes about 45 seconds.

I think a couple of gentlemen are trying to put together a similar device.

Skip was a machinist and could make almost anything. The biggest issue is finding a powder trickler-type device to modify.

I hope this helps.

Woody, are you coming to Raton for the Nationals? We could have a friendly side bet, say $0.25 per day, and you could spot me 5 points. Can you loan me $0.75?

Cheers
Rick Moritz
Woody

Post by Woody »

I can't afford a second western trip this summer. I went to the Q a couple of weeks ago. I'll just send you the .75 cents. Good shooting. See you down the road.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.